physically demanding

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lexington125, Mar 2, 2014.

1. lexington125

lexington125

for many years I didn't bother trying to learn the bass parts played by the various James Brown bass players. Once you got past the traditional stylings of his first few singles, it just got too 'out there' with all of the syncopation, not playing the 'one' and other funk techniques that just seemed like bass playing from another planet to this young rock'n'roll player.

a few decades down the line and I'm fairly comfortable with 60s style R&B / soul music bass playing. Listening to the progression of the James Brown bass players from standard bass playing ("I Feel Good, I got You") to early funk ("Papa's Got a Brand New Bag") is a great way for anyone who wants to slowly venture into the world of funk playing. Often, the repetitive nature of the arrangements means that playing the parts consistently can be more difficult than figuring out the line itself ("Licking Stick").

But this live version of "There was a Time" has got to be some sort of record - to my ears it sounds like the bass player is just rocking back and forth between two notes for the entire 5(+/-) minutes. But he is doing it so hard and so convincingly that it fits the song perfectly. (other versions of this song have slightly different bass lines) What a performance!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek9-HGHT1Pk