Pi Bass Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kazz3lrath, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

Sorry if repost, but I couldn't find any good discussion with the search function.

What is the prevailing opinion around here about the Pi Bass Big Muff? A lot of people really like it, and I like the way it sounds in YouTube videos I have found but I have never gotten to use one myself.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

I think most Muff clones sound so better than most of the new ones. I'm not a big fan of the pedal to be honest.

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

I hated mine, A\B it with a vintage Tall Font Muff and wanted to throw the BBM in the garbage.

IMO

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Loved mine during practice at home and sold it after playing with it once with the band. It simply disappeared from the mix, no matter how I tweaked it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Same here, I now use an MXR bass fuzz deluxe which sits much better in a mix. Sure it costs more, but you get a better pedal for your money.

The other problem with the BBM is the only really good sound is when it's set in 'dry' mode, which mixes in a 100% clean signal with the fuzz effect, which makes it much, much louder than the bypassed signal, requiring either a separate blend pedal or serious modding to reign it back in.

The new BBM deluxe fixes this issue (amongst other) so might be worth a look if you really like the BBM tone.

7. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I picked p the new Dlx bbm last week. I used it at three gigs over the weekend.
    It sits in the mix much better now. The variable blend and master volume make this what it should sound like.
    It sounds to me as if there a slight amount more mid content to the fuzz when I compared it to a stock bbm.
    The crossover function is pretty interesting. Having it footswitchable means you have another sound available. I did find it could get quite nasal unless set carefully.
    IMO it is a more versatile choice than the bbm for only about £30 extra

8. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

I'm partial to the Russian Big Muff personally. It has a certain, weird tonal aspect to it I really love that I just dont seem to hear in other fuzz/distortion pedals. But I may be going deaf from standing too close to my guitarist's 6505+...

9. MattyH

MattyH

I actually love mine. Meaty, big, full of power. I guess it depends on rigs, ears, styles, preferences. Just so happens it works well for me.

10. socialleper

socialleper

I think these were a little bit of a flash in the pan a few years ago that fizzled out. I tried one out to see what the fuss was all about and it is a nice pedal with some cool features. The blended fuzz was a cool way to keep the fuzz from eating up your lows. In the end I didn't end up getting it because what I really wanted was a fuzz with a blend pot like the Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B. Then I came to the conclusion that I was just GAS-ing for a fuzz pedal because a lot of TBers are obsessed with fuzz. I actually wouldn't have a use for it.
    If you like nice fuzz (not super, out of this world gain fuzz) this isn't a bad pedal, plus the price is pretty good. If you are looking for something super gnarly or unique, it may not be for you.

11. q5bass

q5bass

I just got a Way Huge Swollen Pickle and I really like the versatility and tone of this pedal compared to the BBM.

12. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The EHX Bass Big Muff Pi is a great little pedal. The bass setting kind of muddies it a bit, and it will get lost in the mix without a good EQ bump in front of it (the MXR M80 "colour" switch does this perfectly, made my BBM come alive). I do think that most muff clones will sound better, but they all need the EQ bump to be useful in a band setting in my limited experience. And for the price ($50-$60 for a good used one), the EHX pedal is an easy entry point for bass fuzz.

13. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I've tried a few fuzzes and stuck with the BBM. I'm dry mode it sounds thick and fat. That's me though

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

I'm not a distortion expert (or any kind of effects expert, really), but I like my Bass Big Muff. I bought it because I used an original EH Big Muff for guitar, way back in the old days (ca. 1970-72), and I liked the sound. Also, I wanted a warm distorted sound, not a cold (to me), modern, metallic, overdrive sound. I just picked mine up last year, because I joined a grunge/metal cover band, which really needs this kind of timbre. For most of the other stuff I do (singer/songwriter, jazz, blues, classic rock), I plug right into the amp.
    I run mine in "dry" mode, and the jump in volume, as pointed out by others, isn't really a problem for me. I simply back off on the volume knob on my bass whenever I step on the pedal. No big deal.

15. AndyLES

AndyLES

How are you running the MXR with the Big muff? I have both - LOVE LOVE LOVE the M80 on it's own, but don't like the big muff too much, either by itself or with the M80. :crying:

16. CauliColin

CauliColin

I like the BBM. Has plenty of oomph. I can get some great tones with it.

17. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Delayed response, ha, but I put the M80 last in the chain, so after the BBM. Color switch on, bass and treble flat with mids around 2 o'clock.

18. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I really like the Big Muff. Sounds nice and full, has a great roar to it. I tend to use it with a bridge pickup however for a better sound in the mix, it can get a bit dark/muddy with a certain neck pickups.

IMO of course, you might like that fat rumble.