Piano Lessons?

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by Lichtaffen, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen Supporting Member

Media:
    Anthony,
    I'm loving all your concise answers to everyone's questions. Your teaching style is great. My question is rather unique in that my fiance is a trained classical piano teacher. She has studied music her whole life, has a degree from a 4 year institution in performance and has been teaching for over 10 years. It's great having someone like her in my life. I love being able to talk about music theory with her. She has offered to give me piano lessons (for free, of course) because I've always loved piano and wanted to play. My dilemma is that I am obsessed with the bass and feel like one hour learning the piano is one hour not working on my bass playing. My schedule is pretty tight and 2 hours of bass a night is a major accomplishment for me. I know there are obvious benefits to learning piano, but am I better served sticking with bass only?
    Ara
  2. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Aw man, sounds like a great way to spend time w/ the lady. Besides, like anybody'll tell you that bassists should spend some time at the piano.
  3. Cookye

Cookye

I play both the piano and bass..one instrument lends to the other. It may surprise you how similar they are in finger position and "hand shifting". Also, you may find it helps with expression in solos and harmonies.
  4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Free piano lessons? That's a no-brainer to me. As Cookye stated, learning the piano leads to a better understanding of chords, changes and voicings. Go for it, dude!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lichtaffen

Media:
    I guess it's kind of a no brainer. I have a tendency to over-think things. Surprised?

Thanks guys.
  7. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I agree with everyone else. I play other instruments including keyboards. I do about 90% of my writing on piano. It ensures harmonic movement. You can almost always tell when someone writes on bass. The songs are usually 'riff' songs and/or static chord grooves. I can't listen to a whole CD of that. That's why I don't listen to 'bass' music.

Also, I prefer to be able see 'my theory' 3 ways. The overlapping and symmetrical layout of the bass, the linear layout of the keyboard and what I call the 'chalk board' layout(written).

But studying music with a spouse is a totally different subject,...

I slept on the sofa many nights trying to give my ex wife lessons.

It would usually go something like this,...

Me:
    "No baby, that's not a secondary dominant. That's the tritone substitution of the secondary dominant. Take your time and focus."

Her:
    "Well, you left dirty dishes in the sink this morning!!!"

Me:
    "OK, I'll sleep on the sofa again. I like watching the Sportscenter loop over and over again all night long anyway."

peace,
    anthony
  8. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Yeah, if it works out, you guys should go on the Amazing Race or something!
  9. Lichtaffen

Media:
    Thanks Ant. I never realized you wrote so much on keys, but it makes total sense to me now. I basically want to be able to use both hands independently and be able to read at a decent level. I already play guitar, so it would be great to add another instrument to my toolbox. Plus I love Jimmy Smith and I'm dying to play some Hammond organ.

As far as the relationship dynamic, you are right. We already get into fights about me talking too much about bass stuff. She does like yours and Victor's video, so that's a start.