Pic Request: Pbass related.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BornboreD, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BornboreD

BornboreD

I'm currently gassing hard for a Pbass, the problem is (as per usual for most) my budget is nonexistent. Ideally I'd want an MIA, but I think the only way I'm gonna cure my P jones is to find a good playing used MIM and upgrade/mod to suit my needs.

Another issue I have is that I like my instruments to always be somewhat "different" looking. So this is where the Pic Request part comes in...

Lets see your MIM P's in the more uncommon factory colors. So no black, white, red, or bursts. Preferably with Tort Guards. ;)

Thanks in advance. :)
  2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

First of all, I'd suggest keeping your eyes open for a used MIJ E-Series P ('84-'87). They were doing good work then - probably better than the MIA Fenders during that time-frame. But per your request, here is a MIM Classic '50s (Honey Blonde) wearing both the gold anodized and a tort guard. Below those pics is my Vintage White E-Series MIJ:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

4. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm a big fan of Trans Blue. It's what my Jazz is. Here are some Valenti's in Trans Blue

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Sparkles?

[​IMG]

I love Gold?

[​IMG]

Trans Orange?

[​IMG]

Seafoam?

[​IMG]

Not sure what this is.... but I like it

[​IMG]

Green?

[​IMG]

And lastly... pink w/tort

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

I have shown it around here a few times but I don't think you can go wrong with the newer Squier CV Ps. I love mine the way it is, but I'm sure it would be a great mod platform. From my experience playing others off the wall at Guitar Center they have been pretty consistently good.

Much cheaper than the MIM as long as you can get over the "Squier" logo on the headstock and the dumbass questions you may or may not get from idiots out live.

I would suggest checking out the classifieds around here. After my first purchase from TB I have bought all of my gear from fellow TBers since then without any trouble. Great gear can be had for great prices.

Anyways, on to the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought both basses off the classifieds and they both arrived on the same day while I was at work :) My first experience with Squier since I first started playing (the Squiers that I had played about a decade ago were better suited for firewood IME) and I am very impressed. I am actually currently trying to sell my MIM Fender P Deluxe I bought about a year before I got the Squier because, quite frankly, the Squier blows it away. Not that there is anything wrong with the MIM. I was perfectly happy with the Fender until I got the Squier. That sounds like the opposite of what most people would think to be the case, but this is all IME of course.

Good luck! Hard to beat a good P.

EDIT: Forgot what the thread was about >.> The P above is Sonic Blue. And I love the Seafoam green above. I would love to have a US Lakland/Fender P5 in Surf/Seafoam Green.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with a fiesta red 50s Classic. One of the best Fender offers, period.
  8. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i have one that is black, but i modified it with a bottle opener. i have yet to see that!
  9. BornboreD

BornboreD

Keep the pics coming!!
  10. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

I bought a 2008 NOS still in the box American Standard PBass off the Bay for $750 last month. The price was right for a new one. Picture to come.
  11. BornboreD

BornboreD

Sounds like a stellar deal! Unfortunately not stellar enough for my budget. I'm in the $300 - $400 range and even still it would have to be the right colour and in good shape.
  12. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

My best suggestion is to wait, save some more money and get an American made Fender. Anything else and you'll end up selling it to get what you really want later. Don't settle for instant gratification. I've done that enough to regret it.
  13. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i don't know if i entirely agree with this. don't cheap out and settle, but you'd be surprised by some of the cheaper models. don't discount a cheapy with a killer setup. i had a couple mim's that were crap, and i picked up a squier before i realized it was a squier. i bought it as a backup and play it more than my others now.:bassist:

your taste and requirements may be different from mine, but my advice would be to play first before you judge, if it's possible.
  14. BornboreD

BornboreD

I hear what you're both saying, and am very aware of the fact that there's gems and stinkers to be found at all levels and price points across the Fender/Squire board.

I should probably mention that I already own both a MIA and a MIM Jazz. The MIA is my baby and has been since '97. The MIM is my beater.

I truly believe I'm a Jbass guy when it comes to feel, but every once and awhile and with ever increasing frequency I find myself enjoying that classic Pbass tone and liking the look of em as well. Plus, I've heard somewhere that no stable is complete without a P. ;)

So with that said, my GAS is inevitably going to prevail so I figure starting cheap with a MIM is the smart choice. I can afford it, and it allows me the chance to cure my gas, and utilize the P tone whilst seeing if I can get along with the feel of a P. If all goes well, then the saving can begin for a MIA. :) I like the idea of having two.... One setup and tuned for the quiet stuff and another for the loud and dirty. It's what I do with my Jazzes. ;)
  15. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

maybe you need a p with a jazz neck! that's what two of mine are set up with.
  16. BornboreD

BornboreD

I've definitely thought about that.
  17. Cadfael

Cadfael

The Squier MatT Freeman bass costs nearly as much as a MiM - but it's a phantastic bass!
    There are also many remarkable Squier CVs and VMs!

You should at least give them a try ...
  18. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

that's one of the 3 p's i have. that matt freeman is awesome bang for the buck. if you try it and don't like it, i'll buy it from ya'!!!
  19. BornboreD

BornboreD

I've taken a look at a few, and have been impressed. I've also read all the accolades for the VM's and CV's on here as well as other forums/sites. My main issue with them, and now relating back to the original intent of this thread, are the colour options...
  20. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

ahhhh......i've been gasin' for a lake placid blue p. i feel your pain. that's the cool thing about p basses though, you can customize the hell out of them and make them your own. just keep your eyes and ears open, you'll find the one!
  21. burl0029

burl0029

Here's my natural finish MIA P with a custom rosewood guard, which makes it a little different than the norm. To address your question, Fender made some natural finish P's in the standard line a few years ago, so you might be able to find one of those used. Good luck.

[​IMG]