Pick an amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Squawk, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

I'm about to purchase a cheap bass practice amp. Keeping it at $250 or less. Here are my options:
    Acoustic B100MKII 100w - $249.99

Orange Crush Pix 50w - $269.99

Ampeg BA110 35w - $179.99

Peavey Max 112 II 200w - $249.99

This will be for jamming and practicing at home. The guys I play with have a full PA setup and I haven't had to bring any amp to play with them.

Suggestions or opinions?
  2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

3. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

I really like that Peavey Max. You could use it for practice, use the DI in a gig situation or use it as a makeshift monitor or keyboard amp in a pinch. I think that for the price, the other options are either way underpowered or limited in future usability.
  4. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Peavey Max
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mr_flood

mr_flood Supporting Member

You don't have it on your list so pardon me if i might suggest the GK MB115. It's what i use and i am eminently happy with it. Great tone, tremendous power and unbelievably lightweight. Got mine used for $249 from GC.
  7. tgriley62

tgriley62

I have the Max 112 & its a great amp. Plenty of power for practice plus DI out and built in tuner. Can't wait for the 400w minimax head that's coming out later
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Ampeg BA110 35w - $179.99
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Since you have some monetary leeway, check out the Ampeg BA112. My favorite of the BA amps, even though I don't have one. Got a BA110 and it's a super and highly usable little amp, at least for me, but the BA112 has 50w, a bigger speaker, and sounds bigger.
  10. Squawk

Squawk

Went with the Peavey Max 112. I'm liking it a lot better than the Rumble.
  11. Squawk

Squawk

Returned the Peavey Max 112. Got a Ampeg BA115. Much better tone.
  12. DogBone

DogBone

As much as I like Peavey it's hard to beat those little Ampeg BA series combos cause they do Ampeg thing so well.

Which Rumble did you compare the Max 112 to?

Also did you have a chance to try the Ampeg BA 112 that JimmyM suggested by any chance?

I found I liked the tone of the BA112 probably best of all the BA series, and would rate that combo up there with the venerated Rocket bass amp series, it really is a good sounding combo.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase, the 115 is a heck of a practice amp, it will certainly handle small - medium gigs as well. :bassist:
  13. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

I would have to agree with mr_flood. I highly recommend GKs, I love mine. If not though, go with the Ampeg.
  14. Squawk

Squawk

I have 30 days to play with the BA115. If I don't like it, I'll return it for full refund and get something else.

They did not have a BA112 in the store. Had a couple of GK's but both were above my price range.