1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pick hand drifting to the far left.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

New band I am working with plays some really fast stuff. Having just come back into playing my pick hand is not quite up for the speeds.

My pick keeps drifting to the far left as far as right before or on the fret board.

Seems if I keep it center I run out of stream.

Why is this happening? Should I care? :bassist:
  2. FrednBass

FrednBass

If it feels more confortable that way, don't see why care about it
  3. nysbob

nysbob

If you're trying to play fast, that's counterproductive. :scowl:

You want to hit the string closer to the bridge where there's more tension for quicker response. ;)
  4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

This
  5. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    What thickness is the pick you're using? How hard are you gripping the pick? Both of these could affect your ability to pick faster passages for extended periods.
  6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Although it is generally true that you can play faster where there is less vibrational movement of the string, which is near the bridge, I would argue that this is a short-term solution for greater speed in your case. If you keep migrating to near the edge of the fingerboard, this is where you naturally want to play, so it might be best to work on where you naturally gravitate. In the long run, it's likely that you'll be able to play the tempos you need to play more cleanly and more comfortably (hence longevity) where you naturally like to play in contrast to the generally-accepted location where faster = easier. I would also add that this is a great argument for bridge/pickup covers. Anchor your wrist on either/or and then don't move.

But there are limitations. Just how fast is fast? Give us 16ths at a metronome setting for context.
  7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Go to this site http://alonetone.com/northernskulls/tracks and click on Endless Ruin and the fast part that I have trouble with is at 1:25 at the change.

If I was playing just the root notes fast that would be easy but I am playing an ascending scale C, D, E, F, G, A, B sharp to C then D, E, F sharp, G, A, B, C sharp to D. using A, D and G strings with a connecting descending run. All in the span of 1:25 to 1:58 I believe and picking 4 notes out on each change in the scale.

That is black metal fast.

I use heavy gage picks same shape as the large Fender picks but I think I got the ones I am using from Musicians Friend and they are house picks or their own MF brand or something.

Ah just found the package, Clayton's Friendly Picks Rounded Triangle 1.52.. celluloid picks. I like em a lot.
  8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

Simple issue to work out, do you move your hand or does the bass move?
    Either way if you move the bass to the left (assuming you are right handed) then you will have the bass in the position you migrate to already set, so you play constantly in the same string area, when finished you can move the bass back.

Many players re-set or change positions when playing parts, so you learn to do the same. Just remember a bass hangs on you and can be moved either left or right, the neck angle can be parallel or more up-right etc.. Check out the links

Your Pick

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp_kk-w3Puo&feature=plcp

Why pick one...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Wfhf10Fhg
  9. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    A couple of ideas--

1. I love the Clayton acetyls, which is what you are probably using. I personally think the "snap" of the lighter ones (like .80mm) creates better speed than the really stiff, heavy ones.

2. Not to stereotype (okay, so maybe it is), but "black metal fast" might include, as an image thing, a bassist wearing their instrument somewhere around their knees. You might try shortening up that strap a notch or two and see if the natural picking spot changes, just as a function of arm angle.

3. I have this habit of anchoring my ring finger of my picking hand against the G-string, and beginning most pick runs with an UPstroke rather than a downstroke (I am not completely weird in this respect, watch Will Lee playing with a pick as an example). The "recoil" provided by the G-string, combined with gravity, makes for a very quick up/down tandem attack.

I'm pretty sure I could pick along to that song of yours, although I'd have more issues with my LH. I'd also have a very tired RH pretty quickly if you do that all night!
  10. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

As my wrist gets tired my hand just starts moving over. Because I start missing notes I found I miss less as I move over to the left but it seems funny to me. Maybe as I regain stamina it won't do that so much.

I wear my bass not too low or high.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I believe your hand gravitates to the neck because it's easier to play there. Carol Kaye says as much when she discusses her style. The strings are loosest there and put the least strain on your hand. You can use lighter strings and have more range of ease of playing farther down if you'd rather, but for using a pick, it's important to be able to keep holding the pick without your hand cramping up, so you should stay closer to the neck. You'll be able to play just as fast there IMHO.