1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pick my flats for me (again) please.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jessicabass, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

You guys chose great for me last time so im hoping for the magic to happen twice.
    P bass with tone emporium pickups from canada that my brother gave me. (awesome pups)
    Using a pick.
    This bass is for my original band playing basic rock songs.
    Once again please dont tell me your favorite, just what you think will work.
    Looking for something to give me a low/low mid sound without growl or twang/highs.
    Not looking for a dead sounding thump, but more of a powerful punch without being too boomy, growly, or twangy.
    Hope that made sense lol
  2. hotbass57

hotbass57

My vintage pbass has 45-95 XL Chromes. Tension and balance are great and tone love it. They will settle in nicely. They are bright almost like roundwounds. You will like them, they're medium priced fro basstringsomline.com. tell Jason your're a member for vip prices.
  3. hotbass57

hotbass57

4. donn

donn

You're kidding, you're new here, right?

What strings do you have now, and how are they different from what you want?
  5. GKR1

GKR1 Supporting Member

Rotosound 77
  6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

D'Addario or Rotosound will handle that.
  7. jessicabass

jessicabass

I was under the impression that these were bright and growly?
    What do these feel like?
  8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

They are. The D'addarios are bright too. It looks like you're getting a list of everyone's favorites. :meh:

Lucky for you, I don't have a favorite flat. I've currently got four different brands on four different basses.

I've got LaBella's on my P bass. Played with a pick, the tone is remarkably similar to the bass line on Pink Floyd's "Money". By my way of thinking/hearing, such a tone fits your description. (Please note, I'm not saying those are the strings Roger Waters used. There have been huge threads on that with zero consensus. :D)
  9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

People recommending what they think fits [his/her] subjective criteria for the tone [he/she] wants does not equal getting a list of everyone's favorites. I have used a few flats before and didn't really enjoy them but considering I love stainless steel rounds I thought the ones I mentioned might fit the bill. I'd also say TI flats might sound great too but they're a bit expensive.
  10. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

You are describing GHS Precision Flats to a T. LaBella's are also in there with a little more high mid content.
  11. jessicabass

jessicabass

Thank you
  12. jessicabass

jessicabass

What is the break in time for ghs?
    Ive heard they sound good out of the package but others have complained of twangy g and d strings at first
  13. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Generally about 6-8 weeks playing them a bit daily. Grease em' up and play the heck out of them, then a month, give or take.
  14. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

There is a fine line here with flats between where they lose the growl and seem "dark"

Using a pick however does bring forth some brightness. I would suggest either GHS P flats or DAddario nylon tapewounds.

Keep in mind some low mileage flats get sold in the classifieds here, makes it more cost effective way of testing flats. Even the expensive as new TIs can be had for half price.
  15. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Chromes are my favorite and mellow out over time. Sure they start off bright, but have great mids start to finish. If you want good thud out of the box, get La Bella's or dean markley.
  16. og61pbass

og61pbass

I use Daddario Chromes Mellow yellows...love em...:bassist:
  17. shrimpflea

shrimpflea