Pick My Next Bass For Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Nov 9, 2012.

1. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Funny, eh?

Well, seriously, I'm going into the 5 string life. It will be useful for what I am doing (modern Country) and I think it is where I'm meant to go with my playing.

I have narrowed it down to two basses but am interested in opinions.

Just for reference, both of my main 4's are Schecters. I really like them a lot. I have a Raiden 4 and a Diamond P 4. The P is my main player and I really like it a whole lot, well, except for the weight. It is a real heavy bass and takes it's toll on you after a couple hours.

Here's where i'm at.

I want to buy new. I know all the reasons to buy used but I'm buying new. Call me crazy. But I like the idea of being the first owner of a bass without a history.

My amplifiers are all Carvin. I love Carvin stuff. I know people knock it from time to time but I feel like Carvin is a great company and I like their stuff. They've done well by me on everything I've ordered.

Here's my first choice;

Schecter Stiletto Custom 5. Love the looks of this and I've tried one and really liked it. I can buy it new for under $500 with GC coupons.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Stiletto-Custom-5-Bass-103123600-i1147948.gc

This is where I am leaning.

However, I really like the Carvin B50 passive bass, although I've never played one. I have played a 4 string bolt on and really liked it a lot. I like the idea of passive basses, all of what I have are passive basses (two Schecters and one Squier). Carvin actually has in in-stock B50 just the way I'd order it (white bass, passive electronics, really basic bass, white is my favorite color).

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/113537

The Carvin will run me about $900 after all is said and done.

Opinions?

This will be a long term bass and I doubt I will sell it. Just wondering if anyone thinks the Carvin is a better bass at almost double the price. My psyche wants to buy the Carvin but my practical side says the Schecter is the way to go.

Thanks

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had a Carvin LB75 which was one of the worst sounding basses I've ever owned so I am not a fan of Carvin. I would look at Fender, Alembic, Sadowsky and Lakland.

3. George Mann

George Mann

4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

This is actually the frst complaint I've ever heard of about a Carvin bass. Plenty of Carvin love threads here on TB. My BB-75 is 19 years old and sounds great. I doubt I'll ever sell it. I'm looking for a nice 4 string Jazz-style(ish) bass, am considering Lakland but the SB4000 looks nice too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The LB75 had absolutely no punch to it at all even though it also had the bridge piezo pickups. I was very disappointed. It was very dead sounding. The only good that came out of it was that I sold it a week after I bought it and made a $500 profit. I will take my MIA Jazz or Alembics any day.

7. kaputsport

kaputsport

Disclosures:
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I liked my Schecter Stilletto Elite I had. Neck through 5 with active pickups. I would push to get that one.. Much better tone and sustain.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

You either got a dog, or you and I have very different taste in basses. I own three Carvins, and they all sound amazing. My other basses include a Fender P and a Ric 4003, and they're great, but the Carvins are my faves for sure. That said, in this case, I think I'm actually going to recommend you at least try the Schecter. A Carvin with 2 J-style pups sounds rather, well, J-like (lots of sparkling clarity and midrange punch), but I'd personally rather use something warm and P-bassy for country. Now, I don't know what that Schecter sounds like, but the big ol' humbuckers look promising. And that maple top would look great with a cowboy hat!

I also have a Schecter in my arsenal (Stiletto Studio 8) and I think they make quality stuff for the money.

9. Dave the Bass

Dave the Bass

I have a passive Carvin LB20 and I love it.......easiest playing bass I've ever owned.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I want a SB-5000. I think that bass is fantastic for the money...

And then...... I saw the hollow body Valenti bass that Chef just got......

11. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Oh wow......

How do you get a bass like that in that price range?

Seems too good to be true.....what's the catch?

You can tell what my budget is by the basses I'm looking at.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

If the "country look" is important to you, I'd look at the Carvin. I have an Sb5000; they are great. However, if you already know you like it, and since the price is much lower, you should probably get the Schecter. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Edit: just to keep this from being easy...my SB5000 is not my favorite bass. But, it is my #1 go to bass when I am headed into an unfamiliar gig and don't know what tone I will need. The J99's can cover any genre.

14. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

I own a Schecter Elite 5 and it's a great instrument that sound right for new country.

15. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Thanks for the input!

For the classic Country stuff I've been rockin' my Diamond P 4. It has the classic P tone with a little "something extra".

But for the more current stuff we are doing (Big-N-Rich, Brantley Gilbert, Jason Aldean, etc...) I've been faking it and modifying the basslines so I could play them on a 4.

Never heard anything bad about the Stiletto, in fact most everyone who owns/has owned one says that for the price they're pretty good. I know you get what you pay for. But I've been impressed with the Korean made Schecters I have, I like them both way more than the Squier P I have.

Having a bass that "looks the part" is not really important to me. Resale value is obviously not important, if it were I wouldn't be looking at Carvin and Schecter.

16. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    The Carvin make very good basses,but I encourage you to play a FBass BN5 before you make a decision

17. Reggiep

Reggiep

Man, just get the Carvin B50 and be finished! They are great basses! I don't think you will be disappointed!

18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

By your definition, a lot of touring country players are faking it with four strings. Go for the five, but don't sell yourself short if you end up preferring a four.

Yeah, there's Fodera and Alembic too. Or were we comparing sub-$1,000 basses here?

19. mitchjonbass

mitchjonbass

What about the Schecter Diamond P Custom 5?

20. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Went to my local GC. Really poor selection there for 5'ers.

Mostly Ibanez basses. I didn't really care for them but I can see why others like them, decent sound, pretty light, affordable for nice looking equipment.

Tried a Stiletto 5, but one of the lower end bolt on ones. It was the only one they had. Liked it pretty much, but going to probably go with the higher end Studio.

As far as "faking it", so far it's been okay. But we have a few songs, like a couple Sawyer Brown covers where the 5'er would be nice, and a couple Eric Church tunes where I would like to hit some lower notes to compliment the guitarist.

But really, as much as I'd like to say I "need" a 5'er, really I just want one. Should have done it a long time ago.

And yes, I have an "under $1K budget", so Alembics, Dingwalls, or boutiques are out of my price range.