1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pick my next Peavey!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 12, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I've owned a bunch of different basses and I'm back to Peavey's. I don't know of another bass line that has such a high value to cost ratio. I have a Millennium Plus J/J (originally $1100+) coming to me soon with original hard case shipped for $390!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What should be my next Peavey? Preferrably something that doesn't sound too much like the Mill J/J. Active or passive is fine - I've had and enjoyed both kinds of bass.

I'm not sure that a T-40 is in the cards for me - usually too heavy.

2. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

Foundation

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

If I had a Mill J/J (nice place to start!), my next pick would be something distinctly different than that model. So I'd go with one of the following, in this order:

Sarzo Signature. Will run you $600, give or take. Neck through, active/passive electronics, beautiful wood, excellent playing and sounding.

[​IMG]

B-Quad. Will run around $1grand, give or take. Beautifully built, Modulus graphite neck, active/passive with piezo, extremely sophisticated electronics. Brilliant bass.

[​IMG]

Palaedium. Will run you around $350. Elegant bass with the thinnest neck of any bass I've ever picked up. Great sounding, well made, light as a feather.

[​IMG]

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Hey! That's my bass!! LOL!! :smug:

And let me add one of the flattest, fastest fretboards I've played! 17" radius!

Edit: Also I'll add that it has the HOTTEST passive pups I've ever heard!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fourstringbliss

Yeah, I was thinking about going with a Sarzo next to stick with the upscale vibe that the Mill J/J has going for it. Not sure about the B-Quad since I'm not sure I want to sink that much into any bass (I'm a total amateur and only really play at church). I'd love to have a Sarzo that looks like that one! Red would be good too, but that darker color is really nice!

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The B-Quad is, admittedly, not for everyone. It's a complicated instrument, and has a unique sound. But $1grand for a bass isn't a lot of money. The B-Quad retailed in the $2grand area when it came out 18 years ago. That was a ton of money in those days. But it's an awesome instrument, one of the most expensive Peaveys on the used market, and one that will absolutely retain it's value if you buy smart.

The Sarzo colors are red, magenta, and brown. Red being the most common, and brown the least.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

They're great basses!

[​IMG]

9. fourstringbliss

Yeah, from all I've read, the B-Quad is an amazing bass. Given what and when I play I couldn't justify that expense, though, unless I sold something else. My wife will bludgeon me if I sell another bass, though (bought and sold too many over the years). $700ish for a Sarzo I could do - in a year or two.

10. Spleenface92

Spleenface92

I absolutely LOVE my '86 Foundation...it sounds fantastic, plays fantastic, it's not super heavy, and it looks cool.
    [​IMG]
    Also, you can get them dirt cheap. Mine was pegged at $185 at my local guitarcenter. I've seen them go for as low as $100.

11. fourstringbliss

Action shot!

12. fourstringbliss

Why???

[​IMG]

This same Ebayer is selling two of these modded the same way. :rollno:

13. Spleenface92

Spleenface92

It's the only picture I have of me playing it, hah. It's an amazing bass...and I got it in a trade. I traded my upgraded MIM P (without a case) for it (with OHSC!).
    I got this tone with it with only a little bit of Garageband effects and EQ'ing.

14. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

Nice cover. Love Ghost (BC)

15. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
  16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Guy sunk a lot of money into a bad idea. for the money he's asking, he'll be sitting on those basses for 2 lifetimes.

17. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Peavey Fury doesn't sound anything like Millennium. Great basses, better than a Fender IMHO. Also, Dyna basses are the preamp version of the Foundation. Very nice bass as well. Just do what I do and buy them all!!!

18. fourstringbliss

A Dynabass sounds good. There's an Axcelerator 4 in decent shape on CL for $175 but I just bought my Mill. I might just have to eventually get one of each! I'm definitely going to make a Sarzo my next one. That and my Mill might be all the basses I need.