1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pick or Fingers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TakeAPebble, Dec 23, 2012.

1. TakeAPebble

TakeAPebble

Go on guys and girls!

You tell me!

I'm learning so would like to know what you recommend?

Simon

2. hachi kid

hachi kid

3. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

4. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

This question again...
    Seriously, both. Play pick, fingers, slap, tap, and learn to play with your eyelids as well. It's all part of the education.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Down_Low

Down_Low

Learn both. For me, what I'm using will come down to what type of music I'm playing.

7. TakeAPebble

TakeAPebble

I understand you guys get it all the time, but I've had conflicting advantages and disadvantages so was curious what you guys recommend... go easy I'm new lol

8. Kenzy

Kenzy

Just learning? Do both. If you really get into it with fingerstyle and want to come back to the pick later, it'll be more awkward than had you started training in both styles from the start, and the same goes with if you start with a pick and come back to fingerstyle.

You may settle on a preference as you become more familiar with both styles, but it's good for a well-rounded player to know how to use both.

Good luck, mate.

9. Stormer

Stormer

I started with a pick but switched to fingerstyle very quickly, now i am trying to teach myself pick style again and its bloody frustrating.

So, imho, learn both. What harm can it do ???

10. TakeAPebble

TakeAPebble

11. schecter5string

schecter5string

Another vote for both. I play in cover bands, and some songs I play with fingers others a pick. I let the song dictate which way I play.

12. Revolver

Revolver

Both. Ambos. Beides.

13. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Another vote for both. When I first started playing my teacher had me start with a pick. After awhile he had me start over finger style. Only took lessons for a couple of years, but it was good stuff.

14. Basstardus

Basstardus

almost always fingerstyle. except when I do covers that was recorded with a pick originally

15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Both

I used to only play with a pick. About 10 years ago, I started using fingers and now I only use a pick if I am looking for a more aggressive sound. Really depends on the song. If you learn both it will make you a more versatile player.

16. crazyfaux

crazyfaux

17. mcnach

mcnach

Again... both!!!!

18. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

Take , for example, U2 or other straight up 8th note rock and roll. While you can certainly use fingers, I've found that the more agrressive attack of the pick gives a somewhat better "bass fill" and "pulse" with these types of songs. So I use it to cover certain songs, but you might find it helps find your unique "voice" on the instrument.

Picking can't compare to all the subtlies and nuance your fingers tips can deliver though.

19. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

There are also special types of picks that don't sound anything like your "standard" pick sound. For instance, a wedgie rubber pick can sound a lot more like fingerstyle, but not all the way there.

I say learn both and experiment with some fun toys, if you can. I started on pick, quickly moved to fingerstyle for many years, but recently went back to playing mainly pickstyle.

20. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

I learned to play with a compressed felt pick as a kid. Very soft but articulate sound. Not sure if you can even find those nowadays! Seriously, be proficient at both finger style as well as with a pick. There is a place for both. Also, I've never been a fan of slam & pop but a well rounded bassist should be at least familiar with that style as well. Of the three styles, that is the one that gives me the most trouble since it's the one I use least.

Sepp

21. Swipter

Swipter

This is true. This is what I am learning now. Always been a finger player.