1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pick up magnets

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tedward, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Tedward

Tedward

Last year I made a couple of pick ups using bar magnets. The bars are A8 and 2.60" long. I want to use some A5 bars but can only find them at 2.50". Is 2.50" long enough?

Tedward
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Long enough for what?
  3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

try ebay tedward
    &
    do they have to be single pieces magnets or will you get same results with let's say 75 1mm magnets?
  4. Tedward

Tedward

Duh, I should have mentioned that they are for a four string bass.

Tedward
  5. M0ses

M0ses

Get the bass. Measure it.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Typical Fenderish string spacing is 0.75 inch between strings, which works out to an overall width of 2.25 (plus a smidge for string thickness). And as you go towards the neck, that dimension gradually narrows. So yeah, 2.5 inch magnets should work fine.
  7. Tedward

Tedward

I measured the string spacing from the out side of the "G" string to the out side of the "E" string and got 2.23". That gives me Just over 1/8" over hang on each side. I'm guessing that should be enough.

Tedward