Pick up repalcement for better tone.

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by Mavrik9007, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Mavrik9007

Mavrik9007

I have these EMG 40HZ pickups on my Schecter Elite 5..factory standard for this model.
    These are picking up string slap and I haven't been able to allievate this annoying effect. I'm now using Half Round Strings to bring down this effect but still produces a clicking type sound when I dig in. Round Wound Strings almost made this bass sound like it would explode. Looking for a upgrade pick up to put in this bass that'll will not do this and give a better tone. I use this on my rig for a modern country rock type group.. I would like to find something that will produce a nice warm not too brite tone with this Bass and my mesa M9 carbine head.. Any ideas to better immulate these nashville recording bassists in a live setting. ?? I dont like a lot of treble or mid for this application.. I'm looking for a clean warm tone with some moderate sustain and to alleviate this clicking noise when I strike the string with my finger.

2. monti2889

monti2889

from what you describe in your post, it sounds like the strings are hitting the pickups, or the heal of the neck/fretboard.
    You may be able to fix this with a thorough setup.

3. adamnitti

adamnitti

what do you mean by 'string slap'? do you mean a 'clickiness' to your attack? could be a combination of factors. what is your fingerboard made of? does your bass have a built-in preamp?

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I have EMG HZ40's in my inexpensive 5-string. First, lower the pickups a screwturn. Second, see if there is excessive play in the pickup - does it wobble? If so, put foam under it.
    Third, are the strings slapping the fretboard?

It's not the pickups. It's the setup.

5. Register to disable this ad