Pick up switch for My Pbass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DrgMe, Feb 8, 2013.

1. DrgMe

DrgMe

So, I have a 98 Fender American P that I bought a DarkStar pickup for. I'm looking to get a P Retro for it, but, I don't think that the DarkStar pickup is made to be active( as the P Retro goes between active and passive modes)...does it matter??? Or would I need to get pickups that could better handle the ability to go between both modes? If so, I was looking to put a Bartolini Pbass set in. Now, I've never heard the the Bart P's, but every bass I've ever played with Bart's in them - KILLS - to Me, at least. If anyone has good info on them, let Me know what's up please? If anyone has any suggestion, also, of any Pbass pickups that can match the growl and smooth tone that I get from the Bart's - and then some, also, please, let me know! Thanks! 😎
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

You need to go about this systematically. Change one variable at a time, then test thoroughly.

If you have gone to the trouble and the expense of procuring a Dark Star, then that (to me) is obviously step one. Granted, it will require routing, but if you're okay with that, then you may be pleasantly surprised at the improvement that the Dark Star alone makes. Only after playing the bass in that state would I then contemplate a preamp and/or a different pickup.

I run a Dark Star through an Aguilar OBP-1 on my eight-string - it works just fine. In fact, it works extremely well! :)
  3. DrgMe

DrgMe

8 string, You say!? Wow! Awesome! Just one? Or two? Pickups I mean. I have had the DarkStar in for a minute, and I do need to route it. The pickup is huge and isn't completely set in, at least, as far as I want it. It makes the E string really hot! So, I feel it needs to drop back alittle bit, Ya know? It made a huge difference in the sound. Maybe your right. I should spend theory on the routing and proper positioning of the pickup to get a more complete point of view of the benefits
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Just one, in the so-called "sweet spot".

In general, any pickup should work with any preamp. A good preamp will simply add tonal flexibility, and not take away any of the characteristics of the pickup it's paired with. They call that "transparency". ;)

So what are your tonal goals here? Because your choice of strings plays a huge role as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DrgMe

DrgMe

I play DR high beams. Medium gauge on the P. I want a nice punchy, mid range growl. The Pbass, to Me, is My "low range" bass. I got Jazz for a nice "Treble" range. I like to play "guitar-ish" riffs on My jazz. The Modulus and the Lakland are My "Multi Tone" basses. True, I obviously can get more than a few tones out of the Fenders, but, I like the approach I use for them. Very comfortable in fact with the approach. They are different animals, I have so much love for what they do sonically.
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Bart makes different kinds of P pickups. The most common is the 8S. It has a deep smooth tone. The 8SU has more top end, and the 8CBP is more hi-fi.
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Bart Ps are rather unique. I can't think of another pickup with a similar tone, expecially the 8S.
  9. DrgMe

DrgMe

Wow! Awesome to know this information!!! Thank You SGD Lutherie and Jazz Ad! I might look at some this weekend! 😃
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member