picked up a PJB super flightcase....

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Crazy_Fingers27

Crazy_Fingers27

IT'S REDICULOUS!!! (first person in canada to buy one!)

picked it up at club bass yesterday in toronto. it was my first time to the shop....loved it. if you're ever in toronto, stop by. dave was really cool, and he's got quite the surplus of high end gear, and its just a really cool environment (i like to think of it as bass heaven).

anyway, on to the amp. it was love at first listen. believe the hype about PJB. ive never heard anything like it. it completely brings my basses to life.

with the upright, it does a really good job of maintaining that "natural" sound that i think all double bassists look for. very clear and warm, even with the volume cranked. no hiss or other noises at all. just crisp, natural bass tone.

i plugged in my marcus miller V and my jaw dropped. the amp is extremely versatile. my other rig is a SWR Goliath III cab and an SWR 350x head, an to be honest, this thing blows that out of the water for sound quality. i had a rehearsal last night where i played electric in a fusion trio with a loud drummer, and the amp kept up effortlessly.

i've got a jazz gig with my upright tonight, and a rehearsal with the rock band this monday, so this should be a pretty good test of this things versatility and power. i will write a fully detailed review some time next week.

if any of you are thinking of picking one up, i suggest you go play one and let your ears decide for you!!

cheers,
    jon

2. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

I loved how the original flightcase sounded. The newer, more powerful model should be perfect for the giggin' bass player.

I really love my 8B neo-cab with the AI focus as my portable big rig. If I start back doing casulals I'm going to pick up a super flightcase as well.

3. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

Looks like it's 250 watts on their web site, even though the model name is the BG-300. The 'high' input impedance is 4.7 Mohms. And 33 pounds.

It's those proprietary drivers w/ 2 facing up that intrigue me.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Bolo,
    I have a friend who knows Phil Jones. He lives in the St. Louis area. Sometime I have to try and hook up with this guy. Evidently he played bass at one time. It's definitely cutting edge technology. You see the bigger amps around here all the time with some of our local bands. I've played through the little brief case. It was pretty amazing for the size of those two drivers. Not loud mind you, but it had a nice round tone. The one thing that's different about this amp is that I think it's actually designed to sit on the floor, especially since it has those upward firing speakers and ports. I'm not sure what would happen if you raised it onto a stand or chair. It might not work as well. The other thing I wonder about is, if you really crank it, which you may not be able or want to do, will it be two loud to listen to, since the speakers are firing directly at your ears?

Ric

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

6 speakers in a 33 lb package - pretty impressive!

I'm glad they changed their website, the previous one was well...

7. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

OK but "Have You Met Miss Jones?" :bag:
    Ric, yeah all that makes sense to me I reckon.

I might demo the 4B (ceramic) or 6B (neo) at some point. Who knows. hensonbass's posts re: the 8B and Bob Babbitt's "testimonial" on their web site have added fuel to the fire.

8. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

Rob, what kind of pickup are you using these days?

You do a fair bit of arco live, yes?

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

I'm thinking of getting the regular flight case. I like the idea of upfiring speakers so you can year yourself. If I need more powah, I'll just bring the Focus SA along with my UL110 and run all 3 together!

10. Ric Vice

Bolo,
    Actually, I have met Miss Jones on many occasions. John Coltrane used her bridge to build set of "Giant Steps".

Ric:p

11. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

Oh, NO! My bass amp is TOO LOUD! What am I going to DO??? :smug: :p ;)

Just kidding, Ric. It's just that that's a complaint I've never heard before. :)

Maybe you're wondering if the two speakers firing up will be too loud when you turn the amp up to a level where it sounds balanced from the floor? I suppose you could carry a small foam baffle to place over the vertical speakers....

I'm going to try one out in the store next week when I'm in Denver. I'm VERY excited - it's an amp I could roll around on my own (and for me that's saying something)! :D

12. Ric Vice

What was I thinking?

Yep. that's where a little level control for the two upward facing speakers might come in as a handy little knob. Phil Jones is a really gifted engineer. I'll just bet that he already has this problem addressed. I've never heard of anyone having problems with the suitcase, but it's not all that powerful. For that matter the Super Flight Case is only 250 watts. Pretty substantial, especially for that little box though.

Ric

13. hensonbass

Before I started using my Azola EUB for touring purposes I was using a Realist augmented by a magnetic PU. I also had a Rev Solo PU on my bridge as a backup when the Realist would break down ( I went through 3 of them in a year and a half :spit:) Overall I liked the sound of the Realist the best - great for bowing too. The magnetic was cool for rocking out as well.

I take a few bowed solos on my gig and the Azola has been the most versatile bass I've owned. I played Chastain Park here in Atlanta last night and I got so many compliments about the sound of that bass.

I don't miss the doublebass at all. it seemed half the time it had feedback or you couldn't hear it 'cause the rock and roll club soundman didn't know what he was doing or I was repairing a pickup.

The Azola never gets feedback and the tone is always there. Can't wait to play it through the Phil Jones 8B this weekend in Asheville, NC. Most of the time I use in-ear monitors but occasionally I get to rock out with an amp.:bassist:

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

Hi Jon.

How did the BG-300 work out?

Gary

15. hensonbass

BTW: I did buy one of the super flightcases and it has been the best combo amp I've ever owned.

16. Nagrom

Nagrom

I played 2 gigs yesterday with the superflightcase. One was a community dinner in a booming hall full of 200+people and the other was a private party with a ridiculously large old school PA in the basement. The amp worked great in both situations although in the basement I also lined it into the board. In the hall it was just right all by itself.

17. Fletcher Lanning

Fletcher Lanning

To the OP (or anyone else who's been playing on this thing): What pickup(s) have you been using and which do you think works best for this amp?

18. hensonbass

To me it doesn't seem to matter what kind of pickup you have as long as you are happy with the way the pickup responds with your bass. The amp is just going to make the sound louder and it doesn't have much in the way of coloring the tone (which is what I like).

I have a Crissy hybrid bass with a Full-Circle and a Vektor PU that I combine with a Headway Preamp going into the effect loop return of the PJB. I like this sound the best. I realize that might be more complicated and expensive than most people would want.

Having said that plugging a single pickup into the input of the PBJ sounds great. If I want my tone more modern sounding I use my Full Circle. If I need a very "real" traditional acoustic tone I would use the Vektor. I just happen prefer to mixing the two tones together for a more complete and versatile tone.

I also have used the PJB with an Underwood PU on my Prescott and that sounded nice as well. It also sounds excellent with my Azola EUB.

I would say in general the PJB combo gives you a studio monitor kind of response to anything you plug into it. Those six 5" speakers are the bomb in my book.

19. MrSandman

MrSandman

Hi, I was just wondering if enyone here tried or could try Pjb superflightcase 300 with el.gitar? I'm considering to buy it and it would be nice if I could plug my tele in to TC electronic Nova system and Nova in to Pjb? It would be more simple, light and cheap solution, 2 amps in one.. mmmm....
    So, enyone ever tried guitar on that? THANX!!!:bassist:

20. Rvl

Rvl

I have a Flightcase and have used it live with banjo,mandolin,bouzouki,violin and acoustic guitar
    No problems and sounds great through all of them
    The PJB sound is very natural sounding

Thanks

Robert VanLane

21. Nagrom

Nagrom

I've tried the PJB for string bass, electric bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and mandola. I didn't like the electric guitar (Fender Jazzmaster) through it at all, everything else very nice.