Picked up a USA Deluxe P Bass last week

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DionClassic, Dec 18, 2013.

1. DionClassic

DionClassic

So I was out at the music store with little intention of buying something but.... I found that I've been needing a back up for my ric. Saw this beauty:

2007 Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass for $600

Picked it up, played it for 1 minute and knew she was coming home with me.

Now I have a few questions for you guys. What's the difference between the new deluxes and the old ones? When did they change the pickup to a single jazz?

Also, I am mostly used to passive basses... Is it frowned upon to play an active bass at half the volume or is it best to play them at fullish volume?

Here are some pictures... It's used so its got dings... But they did a huge set up job on it, cleaned the electronics, oiled the board, cleaned up the frets... And it comes with a 2 year warranty so I'm not worried. Used is the way to go in my opinion.

[URL=http://s803.photobucket.com/us...Mobile Uploads/IMAG1053_zpsa097c678.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also... If someone could help me with posting pics I seem to be doing it wrong.

Any way, happy holidays to all of you!
  2. DionClassic

DionClassic

Also, forgot to ask... What do the knobs do? I know the first is master and the second is pickup balance but I need help with the last three. Thanks!
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Bass, Mids, Treble, but not in that order. Great bass, one of my all-time favorites. Love the fat humbucker, the new ones have a J single coil. Congrats.
  4. DionClassic

DionClassic

Ok thanks! I know the bottom of the double knob is the bass, is the top half mids then?... My ears would tell me so but I'm not sure
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Here is my 2002 P.

[​IMG]

http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/019-5260_62A_SISD.pdf

Here is the Factory PDF on the bass with which knobs do what.

Hate to ask you a question in your own thread but does your mid boost/cut knob act as a second volume? Mine seems to get much louder when I turn my mid up.

As for your question, 2010 is when Fender went with the single J pickup. The main differences is that the new ones have a passive/active switch. They use an N3 pickup and the last difference is the new deluxe's have 21 frets, the pre-2010's have 22 frets. Why did they change it form a Humbucker to a single jazz? No clue.

Is it frowned upon to play an active bass at half the volume or is it best to play them at fullish volume?

I personally put my bass to full volume, however on my Thunderbird I put it to 7/10 on both the volumes. So experiment and see what sounds better (if there even is a difference in sound.) Hope you enjoy the USA Deluxe P.
  7. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

That's a beauty! Especially at that price. Good snag!!
  8. DionClassic

DionClassic

Nice! I dig that 2002!

And thanks for the link, that was just what I needed. I do find that the mid knob is definitely an animalof its own because boosted, it seems to be louder as well as bring out the highs... That's kind of why I wasn't sure of its purpose,

I don't find I use the bucker so much but it does add a little flavour. Thanks for answering all my questions.

Very happy with the bass... It was my number 2 but its really becoming my favorite.
  9. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I believe the body was a bit smaller on the older style ones also.... I had one that I loved (but I now play 5 string and just can't seem to be able to afford the Am. Dlx. P Bass 5 when they come up for sale)

I ran both pickups full on (balance centered) and loved the tightness and pitch recognition. I also ran the tone controls flat. I only favored the bridge pickup when I was playing harmonics.....

as you can see even with a Warmoth Parts Bass I used the 5 string bridge pickup from the 5 string version..... (it's a Bill Lawrence P-46 in the P pickup position .. the 17.5mm bridge didn't allow the Fender P Bass 5 pickup, that takes 19mm...)

You, my friend, got a dynamite Bass at a killer price !!!

Attached Files:

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

$600!? That is a great price! Nice score on a nice bass!
  11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

Congrats....nice bass.
    I have never had a chance to play one but always been intrigued.

Can you get the Stingray vibe on that humbucker?
  12. DionClassic

DionClassic

Well I've never played a stingray so I have no idea... But, I noticed the humbucker alone doesn't and a ton of beef to it so the p pickup really compliments the bucker.
  13. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

I'd say it's more ballsy jazz than MM, but it's not far off. I switch between P and the H/JJ pup depending on the song.

Agree $600 is a good deal for the 4 string, esp. with hipshots. I own this in both 4 and 5 string models... such a flexible bass. My 5 has TI flats on it, and it has the sweetest tone of all my axes. It's my go to above anything. TIs really brought it to life.
  14. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

nice axe and a steal!
  15. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

i recently messed with a newer Americian Deluxe P it had a passive/active switch.Super sweet bass