Pickguard Fitment Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Old Fart, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

I have a 2004 American Precision with a white pickguard. I think it should wear a tort guard. There are fitment issues, I hear. A Search was not definitive. If this is a "real" fender (made in Coronado CA), then shouldn't a new Fender pickguard fit correctly (the holes line up), as long as the bass and the guard have the same number of holes?

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hi old fart,

it should ...
    You can never say 100% - but it should!
    I can only tell German EUR prices, but even 15 EUR (15-20$) pickguards mostly fit!
    I don't know the American market, but in Europe we have "cheap brands" which offer "Fender standard". But having an American Standard bass I wouldn't moan at all if someone chose to use only genuine Fender parts!
    You can have it cheaper (with same quality - but you mustn't!

3. Old Fart

Old Fart

Thanks.

I don't mind saving money. If it fits, and looks good.....

These inexpensive pickguards......are they only available online? Or might I find one in a store?

4. msb

msb

I'm relieved someone has finally brought up fitment issues .

We have all been suffering in silence for far too long . The condition whose name we dare not speak .

The fitment !

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    You can pay for perfect fitment by tracing your guard and sending it to a place like Pickguard Heaven. You just have to be willing to pay for it. I buy guards on clearance and make them fit, 'cause I'm a cheapass.

7. msb

msb

Arrrgh , now the cheapass clearance forced fitment .

The inhumanity !

8. Old Fart

Old Fart

You guys are funny. I think "fitment" is a somewhat British term, but it works.

Anyhoo.....I still hope to gather more information about the pickguard fitment problems people have encountered. MexiFender basses might have less quality control or, for whatever reason, maybe there are problems with them. But I was hoping to hear that there is more consistency with the American production basses, and perhaps that a genuine Fender Pickguard might reliably fit properly on a genuine American-made Fender bass. Is this incorrect? Can genuine Fender pickguards NOT fit properly onto genuine American Fender basses? I do not prefer to drill holes in this bass.

Also......are there differences between genuine Fender pickguards and cheaper pickguards? Are the Fender ones thicker? More laminations? More aesthetically pleasing?

Speak to me, oh Wise Ones of Talkbass. Teach me pickguard wisdom.