1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickguard for 1985 MIJ Squier P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hozay, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Hozay

Hozay

Hola,

I recently purchased a 1985 "A" series Japanese Squier P-Bass in near-mint condition. What a fabulous guitar! It's finished in sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard.

One of the previous owners installed a tortoise shell pickguard which I'm interested in replacing with whatever was there originally, so three questions:

-- I'm pretty sure this model came with a 3-ply, white-black-white pickguard. Can you confirm that?

-- Can you recommend a good source for the replacement?

-- Am I correct that the potentiometers and mounting holes on the MIJ guitars were all metric sized?

Thanks,

Hozay
  2. chef wong

chef wong

I suggest going to the Fender site's official forum and asking this.
  3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

80s Squiers are hard to find pickguards for - you'll probably have to get one made. I recently went through the same thing with my P bass, and I couldn't find a direct replacement. WD Music and Pickguardian can make you one, but they aren't cheap.
  4. wraub

wraub

I have an 83 MIJ SQ P bass and 3 different real Fender pickguards, and all fit perfectly with no extra holes.

My original guard is 3 ply W/B/W.

wraub
  5. Hozay

Hozay

That's great news, wraub. Seems like I could try one with little risk.
  6. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

7. Hozay

Hozay

8. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

I have owned 4 1984-1985 Squier P-basses and Warmoth and Fender pickguards have all fit perfectly. The Squier you have came with a w/b/w guard like you suspected. I suggest looking into a parchment color guard as they are just a slightly creamy white coulor. Not as stark as the pure white ones. Congratulations on the bass. The SQ and A series basses are fantastic...way underrated.
  9. Hozay

Hozay

Thanks a lot, John! Also for the links to your band. I only had a short time to listen so far but I'll definitely be back. Great stuff.

Hozay
  10. wraub

wraub

Yes, the original guard is a very stark white, I'd also suggest a parchment or mint alternative.

Sunburst/RW on yours?
    I'd also suggest perhaps black, ano gold, or the ever popular tort. I have white, gold, and black, and will get a tort guard next. All basses covered, so to speak.

And yes, the JV Squiers get most of the press, but I have yet to be dissapointed by anything with an SQ, E, or A serial.
    Sounds like you may have a keeper!

wraub
  11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I used to have one. Mine had a white pickguard. Personally, I think tort looks much better than the white on a 3TS. Pretty good bass though!

[​IMG]
  12. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

You're welcome, and thanks.

John
  13. Airskank

Airskank

14. Hozay

Hozay

This was my first time posting a new thread on TB so I didn't know what to expect. Now I do. You guys are a truly generous bunch and your comments were all helpful.

After all that, I've decided to stick with the tortoise shell pickguard that came with the bass. If I should ever get the itch to swap it back to the original white, I now know that it won't be difficult to find the replacement.

Thanks to all!

Hozay
  15. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

Anyone know what replacement pickguards will fit a JV pbass? I'm thinking of ordering a fender 62 reissue one, but thought I'd ask here first.
  16. RS66LB

RS66LB

Yeah, I have an 85' that actually sounds and plays better then any of the standard Fender P-basses -an excellent instrument
  17. Davo-London

Davo-London

I have an E-series J and a Wal-owning friend has "borrowed" my Jazz for 2 years! This speaks volumes for the early MIJ Squiers.

Davo