1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pickguard for 1985 MIJ Squier P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hozay, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Hozay

Hozay

Hola,

I recently purchased a 1985 "A" series Japanese Squier P-Bass in near-mint condition. What a fabulous guitar! It's finished in sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard.

One of the previous owners installed a tortoise shell pickguard which I'm interested in replacing with whatever was there originally, so three questions:

-- I'm pretty sure this model came with a 3-ply, white-black-white pickguard. Can you confirm that?

-- Can you recommend a good source for the replacement?

-- Am I correct that the potentiometers and mounting holes on the MIJ guitars were all metric sized?

Thanks,

Hozay

2. chef wong

chef wong Banned

I suggest going to the Fender site's official forum and asking this.

3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

80s Squiers are hard to find pickguards for - you'll probably have to get one made. I recently went through the same thing with my P bass, and I couldn't find a direct replacement. WD Music and Pickguardian can make you one, but they aren't cheap.

4. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I have an 83 MIJ SQ P bass and 3 different real Fender pickguards, and all fit perfectly with no extra holes.

My original guard is 3 ply W/B/W.

wraub

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hozay

Hozay

That's great news, wraub. Seems like I could try one with little risk.

7. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

8. Hozay

Hozay

9. Datsgor

Datsgor

I have owned 4 1984-1985 Squier P-basses and Warmoth and Fender pickguards have all fit perfectly. The Squier you have came with a w/b/w guard like you suspected. I suggest looking into a parchment color guard as they are just a slightly creamy white coulor. Not as stark as the pure white ones. Congratulations on the bass. The SQ and A series basses are fantastic...way underrated.

10. Hozay

Hozay

Thanks a lot, John! Also for the links to your band. I only had a short time to listen so far but I'll definitely be back. Great stuff.

Hozay

11. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Yes, the original guard is a very stark white, I'd also suggest a parchment or mint alternative.

Sunburst/RW on yours?
    I'd also suggest perhaps black, ano gold, or the ever popular tort. I have white, gold, and black, and will get a tort guard next. All basses covered, so to speak.

And yes, the JV Squiers get most of the press, but I have yet to be dissapointed by anything with an SQ, E, or A serial.
    Sounds like you may have a keeper!

wraub

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I used to have one. Mine had a white pickguard. Personally, I think tort looks much better than the white on a 3TS. Pretty good bass though!

[​IMG]

13. Datsgor

Datsgor

You're welcome, and thanks.

John

14. Airskank

Airskank

15. Hozay

Hozay

This was my first time posting a new thread on TB so I didn't know what to expect. Now I do. You guys are a truly generous bunch and your comments were all helpful.

After all that, I've decided to stick with the tortoise shell pickguard that came with the bass. If I should ever get the itch to swap it back to the original white, I now know that it won't be difficult to find the replacement.

Thanks to all!

Hozay

16. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

Anyone know what replacement pickguards will fit a JV pbass? I'm thinking of ordering a fender 62 reissue one, but thought I'd ask here first.

17. RS66LB

RS66LB

Yeah, I have an 85' that actually sounds and plays better then any of the standard Fender P-basses -an excellent instrument

18. Davo-London

Davo-London

I have an E-series J and a Wal-owning friend has "borrowed" my Jazz for 2 years! This speaks volumes for the early MIJ Squiers.

Davo