1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Pickguard for 57 Precision bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PigsHaveFlown, Jan 15, 2014.

1. PigsHaveFlown

PigsHaveFlown

Jan 4, 2014
    Hey talkbass,

So I have a 57 P bass reissue in vintage sunburst and while I dig the gold pickguard, I wanna mix it up and put a tortoise pickguard on there instead (blasphemy! I know). Anyone know what, if any pickguards will fit, or am I gonna have to get one made? Will any other 10 hole pickguard fit?

Thanks in advance,

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I had a CS P made with '57 PUPs and a tort guard (see avatar), they documented it as a '59 NOS. Not sure that that answers your question, but it's a starting point. I know the gold pguard off of my Roadworn P also fits on it.

3. Tooned

Tooned

Sep 14, 2006
    Vancouver BC
    WD Music sells replacement pick guards for 10 hole precisions. I also am thinking of a tort guard for my 57 2TB. Other people on TB have said their pgs are good, FWIW.

4. Tooned

Tooned

Sep 14, 2006
    Vancouver BC
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    guitarpartsonline.com
    nothin but good things to say about this site

7. PigsHaveFlown

PigsHaveFlown

Jan 4, 2014
    Thumper, thats a fine looking instrument indeed.

The wdmusic ones look good but they're a little pricey, are they actual fender products?
    I like the price of the guitarpartsonline ones, but it doesn't specify that its for the 50s p basses so I'm not sure it would fit.

Thanks for the help all

8. PigsHaveFlown

PigsHaveFlown

Jan 4, 2014
    Hate to bring an old thread back from the dead, but I'm at the point where I'm considering paying the ridiculous 120$ it would cost to get WD Music to make me a pickguard, (plus I've not heard great things about their customer service anyway).
    Will a normal 13 hole pickguard fit, assuming I'm not going to drill holes in my bass. I don't mind if there are holes without screws in them, I just wanna know if enough holes will line up for it to fit on securely.
    Anyone ever tried this?

9. PigsHaveFlown

PigsHaveFlown

Jan 4, 2014
    26398308-0D30-48DE-BE28-3DF71D7CAEEB-3500-0000046161459B29.jpg + found what looks to be a 57 p bass with a 13 hole guard on it, should I just go ahead and buy a 13 hole?
    (totally loving the cream pups covers too)

10. Tooned

Tooned

Sep 14, 2006
    Vancouver BC
    Looks like only six screws are used on that pick guard in the picture there. The tug bar will also hold it in place though.
    I like the look there too. I think when I eventually swap out the pg on my 57, I may just go for a 1 ply black. It looks good on the Cabronita.

11. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Disclosures:
    Convicted manspreader
    I have a 50's P-Bass lacquer, that needs a tort as well - I'm playing it safe by submitting a tracing of the gold metal pickguard to WD.

12. PigsHaveFlown

PigsHaveFlown

Jan 4, 2014
    WD Music already have pickguards for the 10 hole 50s p basses on their website, only thing is the tort ones cost 85$ and somehow postage to Australia will cost 40$, hence why I'm hesitant buying one.

The look I'm going for is cream pups and thumb-rest, and I'll put the bridge cover on. I think I'll go with the 13 hole like in the picture, if it works it'll definitely be worth the price.

13. Al Florenzo

Al Florenzo

Sep 19, 2011
    this truly is blasphemous. proceed at your own risk, for it is said that putting a tort guard on a sunburst p bass without a rosewood fingerboard will turn it into a pumpkin!

14. PigsHaveFlown

PigsHaveFlown

Jan 4, 2014
    I fear that fender has sent assassins my way for even considering matching tort with a maple fingerboard, I'll have to live in exile with my monstrosity of a bass ;)

15. Al Florenzo

Al Florenzo

Sep 19, 2011
    and no amount of flats will help!