Pickguard for a new jazz bass? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deepestend, Feb 10, 2014.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

I just started working on this jazz project again after letting it sit for [DEL]a month[/DEL] year and a half. I got the body from Mark Jenny and it needed some work on the neck pocket that required a router and I needed to get the bridge holes drilled.

Found out that a friend is an amazing woodworker and he knocked both out.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should use a pickguard and if so, what color. Any thoughts? I thought I'd go with tort, but now it's looking a little gimmicky. In retrospect, i wish that I had maybe gone with rear routed controls and dialed back the aging a little bit. Both of those ships have sailed, though.

Here it is:
    [​IMG]
    By thesameage at 2012-09-10

Again:
    [​IMG]

Tort:
    [​IMG]

Pearloid:
    [​IMG]
    By thesameage at 2012-09-10[/img]
  2. deepestend

Picture of the bass with pickups in the slots and a regular jazz plate and pre that I had lying around. Maybe a clear pickguard?

[​IMG]
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Whichever one you go with, I really like the way mine looks with a custom pick guard that has no screw holes. Mounted with double-sided acoustic guitar pick guard tape.

[​IMG]
  4. deepestend

I like that too! Where did you get it made?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

I got it from Buzzard Bass. But, the overall experience was not my favorite.

I got another pickguard from Pickguard Heaven. They were great to work with and I would absolutely get future pickguards from them. I'm confident you could order an undrilled Jazz pickguard from them.

http://pickguards.us/
  7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

No pickguard.
  8. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

Wow that does look great, gives me ideas for my next build!
  9. deepestend

Thanks! I don't know what the color is called. It's kind of a green tint inca silver.

Does anyone know if tape messes up nitro?
  10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would put a three ply black guard on it, I think it would look amazing with black. IMHO tort would be the worst thing you could do to that bass. I would just drill the body, the tape most likely will harm the finish.
  11. deepestend

I have that tort and it just looks odd. It's a good tort, too.
  12. deepestend

I'm also debating keeping the Audere or going older school with just a passive setup. Feel free to comment on that as well! Haven't loved the Audere in the past but feel like I should give it a real shot.
  13. StuartV

I really doubt it would harm even nitro. I mean, it IS made specifically for use on guitars, right?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickgua...Adhesive_Sheet.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=455

BTW, I didn't completely cover the back of the p/g with it. I just cut strips to put around the perimeter and around the pickup hole. Been on there for about 3 years now with no lifting, warping, etc.. Still looks perfect.

Plus, if, by some odd chance, it did affect a nitro finish, the only problem that would create is if you wanted to change to a clear pickquard. Which, if you want clear, I don't know why you'd bother with a p/g at all.

Personally, I don't especially like the looks of any bass that has a control plate all by itself - and especially a Jazz control plate. At least Stingray control plates have a rounded end, so they don't look so much like they were made to be connected to something else. To me, Jazz control plates just don't like right when they aren't butted up to a pickguard. If I were building a Jazz and wanted no pickguard, I'd also go rear-routed so the controls could be mounted with no control plate. But that's just MY personal taste.
  14. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

15. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

+1
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

No guard for me also but if you had to have one the tort.
  17. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Haha... sorry, that just reads funny.
  18. deepestend

I'm leaning towards parchment or parchment pearl.
  19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Its the out gassing of the adhesive that can cause damage to a nitro finish. Even blue masking tape can damage a nitro finish. I would confirm the Stewmac stuff was nitro safe before using it.
  20. StuartV

Yeah, that was kind of my point, too. It only makes sense if you're thinking of putting on a clear pickguard.
  21. deepestend

I'm leaning towards screws and a parchment guard. Just called Warmoth to ask about a no-screws option and they said that the screw holes keep the blank on the machine!

Waiting to hear back from some guys I know who make pickguards. I probably wouldn't even tape it down. The pocket under my neck is pretty tight.