1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pickguard for Gretsch G5123B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mannyk, Dec 20, 2013.

1. mannyk

mannyk

Im curious if there are any pickguards that would fit on the G5123B bass guitar, since it doesn't come with one. Would a pickguard from a Broadkaster Bass fit? I love the look of a Gretsch with a 'guard on it!

2. mannyk

mannyk

3. donn

donn

4. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

The Broadkaster's pickguard is shaped so that there is about 80 millimeters of space between the pickups. The G5123B has pickups that are about 90 millimeters apart. You could use a Broadkaster pickguard, but there would be about a 1 centimeter gap between the pickup and the cutout on the pickguard.

Gretsch does not make a pickguard designed for the G5123B. You can make your own as I did (check out the second link in the post above), or have one made for you. I used the pickguard from a G5120 guitar as a template, and simply modified the template to accomodate the G5123B's unique string spacing:

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mannyk

mannyk

Thank you guys! I am going to attempt to make my own. May i ask what material you used for the pickguard,ih8law?

7. mannyk

mannyk

Oh! How did you attach it?

8. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

I went to Auto Zone one day and saw this mirrored vinyl material that is intended for use as a temporary fix for a broken side mirror. It is basically a square of vinyl that can be cut with heavy duty scissors. It's cheap and does the job.

The pickguard attaches with a bracket you can pick up on eBay for about $10. Just in case you were confused by the picture above, it was taken before I installed the bracket.

9. mannyk

mannyk

Thank You! did you need to make any holes in the bass?
    Sorry for all the questions!

10. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Yes. The bracket has to be screwed into the body.

11. mannyk

mannyk

Ok! thank you very much for all of the information!