Pickguard issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Don't know if this belongs in here but it seemed like the best place.

A while back, I painted my tort squier pickguard Matt black using plastikote spray paint - it was for a project.

Now I want it tort again to go on another bass. Any ideas on how to get this paint off?

I've tried scratching it with my nail and it does come off but really slowly - taken me half an hour to clear a tiny patch.

I don't want to sand it off as the pickguard is nice and glossy underneath and that would ruin it.

My partner thinks white spirits wouldn't help.

And I've never seen paint thinners for sale in this country.

Any other ideas? I don't wanna have to spend $25 on a new pickguard :(

2. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

Give White Spirit onna cotton bud a go - it won't hurt it. By rights it shouldn't touch it, but I had a pot of Plastikote that wiped off over 24hrs after I put it on. Probably a duff batch, but you never know. Never bought the stuff since.

Another possibility is Gaffer Tape. Seriously. Stick a bit over the area you've scraped clean, press it well down & then rip it off like a plaster. If the paint isn't that well stuck on it stands a fair chance of peeling off.

That about wraps it up for 'homespun' suggestions, but for a commercial solution, you could give this stuff a spin: http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/modelstrip-modelstrip/ Seems popular among the Airfix types.

Avoid any decorators' paint stripper (e.g. Nitromors) at all costs - odds are that it'll melt the scratchplate.

Pete.

3. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot. Supporting Member

If it was an oil based paint, try a dab of paint thinner on a cloth. It might take some of the luster (shine) off the gloss from the tort guard, but it should take the black paint off easily.

Lesson here? Don't paint your pickguards!!! :cool:

4. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

Another thought... Nail Varnish Remover.

Blob a bit on a cotton bud on the back of the pickguard & see if it attacks the plastic. If it doesn't, you're good to go - ask in a car spares shop for cellulose thinner, it'll be more effective than NVR & probably a lot cheaper.

Pete.

5. Register to disable this ad