Pickguard Maker Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Smithberger, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

I have an American Standard Precision V that I want to reverse the pickup on to set the low string half of the pickup closer to the bridge and the high string part closer to the neck. I would like to have a BWB 3-ply made before I route the body to move the coils to insure that everything will work properly. Where would you turn for a part like this?
  2. Bobster

Bobster

Pickguardian, Greasy Groove, Jeannies, Pickguard Heaven, or WD Pickguards could do it.

Only issue is that it will be custom and therefore more expensive than a standard pickguard.

All the best,

Bob
  3. Joe Smithberger

Anyone have bad luck on custom guards from any of these?
  4. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

I had one made for my Squier Jag SS made from Jeannies. Good work, perfect fit. I had zero problems with them although others seem to have had.
    Other two custom pickguards were made by my luthier.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FuManChu

FuManChu

This is not completely on topic, but I recently reversed the P in a P bass and what I was hoping would happen actually worked. I recorded our last gig and the high notes have more beef and the low notes have increased clarity even in drop D in the mix. There is a great even tone from string to string that was lacking before. I am really suprised that more builders don't offer a reverse P configuration. Back on topic, I have used terrapin custom pickguards in the past with great results.
  7. bumperbass

bumperbass

I just found this place, but don't know anything about them. Cool stuff!

http://www.pickguardparadise.com/main.html

Good luck. I've always wondered why Leo did it this way myself.

Let us know who you chose and how it turned out.
  8. Joe Smithberger

That's what I am looking for. On the P5, the B string is just a little tubby and the G a little clanky with the standard setup. String selection has minimized it, but it's still there.

What did you do about your pick guard?
  9. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I've been looking for four-quadrant P-bass pickups that can be switched to select regular, reverse, or both.

Anybody make 'em?
  10. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I've bought 3 different pick guards and a bridge from www.wdmusic.com with no issues
  11. FuManChu

FuManChu

I also did this on a Jazz bass. I took the jazz bass pickguard and carefully cut the routes for the P bass pickups with a fine blade jig saw, then did a fine sand. The pickup is exactly reversed from where it would traditionally be. It still left gaps in the pickguard from the difference in the Pbass route and the original jazz bass route but this was easily remedied with the Chrome P bass cover and nobody is none the wiser, see attached photo in which you can see the D/G pickup side just poking out from the top of the the cover. For a Pbass you are probably going to have a to create a tracing and get a custom pickguard made to make it look clean. pjbass.jpg
  12. TimboZ

TimboZ

13. Joe Smithberger

Have you all noticed the Wilkins banner with the Oly White Reverse P bass? Between this ad and the discussions in the Dingwall forum about the Super P, I am more determined than ever to follow this through.
  14. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

No mentions of Terrapinguitars.com yet. I have never dealt with them but have heard good things. I inquired about a custom pg once and they were very fast and courteous with their replies.