1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickguards for 2012 Am Std Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RocThrower, Dec 11, 2012.

1. RocThrower

RocThrower

So yesterday the UPS dropped off a brand spanking new American Standard Jazz bass in JPM. In anticipation of this purchase, I bought a a Genuine Fender Tortoise Shell Pickguard (with the truss notch) that I planned on installing. All the screw holes lined up fine, but there was about a 1/16" gap between the pickguard and the control plate. It's enough that you can see the routing cavity, but the original mint pickguard sits flush with the control plate. I have replaced pickguards on 2 other Jazz Basses and never ran into this problem. Is it most likely that I just got a "bad" pickguard, or has something changed on the 2008+ MIAs that would account for this difference?

I will also note that the tortoise shell pickguard was curved quite a bit, and after flattening it out carefully with a heat gun and some clamping, the gap is still there.
    I have another pg ordered, and hopefully it will fit better, but I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this or can recommend another aftermarket part that will fit.

On a side note, I am extremely blown away by this bass. I used to have a 1997 American Standard and have been playing on an old Highway 1 (no Badass or graphite enforced neck), and the build quality and sound difference was much more than I was expecting. I can't wait to get home and play it again tonight!
  2. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

You might try moving the control plate. Looking at my Jazz it looks like ther plate could be moved 1/16" towards the pickguard and remounted without exposing the old screw holes. just remove the mounting screws and do a "dry fit" to see if that will work. If it works, al you have to do then is redrill new holes. (unless you really don't want to do that). BTW, if the PG was all bent up, and didn't fit properly, then it does indeed sound like you got a bad one.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

a slight misfit between the pickguard and the control plate is not unusual; sometimes you'll just loosen all the screws (both pickguard and plate), position everything, then tighten them all down.
  4. RocThrower

RocThrower

Thank you for the replies, they are much appreciated!

I did find out if worse comes to worse, my local luthier would be able to cut me a pickguard that matches the stock one. I do have another one on the way, and will try walterw's idea of loosening the control plate screws as well if that doesn't line up

Thanks again, I really appreciate this community!