1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickguards for a MIM PBass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bumperbass, Jan 13, 2013.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

So, I haven't had much luck in finding a good place to get a replacement PG for my MIM 2000 P. I always thought each model was different. Now I see that some MIA pg's fit MIM's. Then I see this:

13 Hole PB Style Pickguard
    $13.00

Fits US, Jap and Mexi real well, not for reissues and imports

I'm not interested in spending $60 bucks for a pickguard (unless I have to).
    Where's a good, reputable place to buy a PG? Looking for a flag or USA theme.
    And, besides taking the pickguard off, how do I know what fits what, or should I just stick with "For MIM"?

Thanks!
  2. paradog

paradog

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I would avoid WD Music - I bought a PG from them for an MIA P Bass, and not only did they over charge me $10, I had to spend about an hour on it to make it fit over my pickups... Also, they sent me a Jazz PG that was so poorly made, it had to be returned:

[​IMG]

My one and only experience with them was terrible - I wouldn't recommend WD Music/pickguards.com to anyone...

- georgestrings
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

For the most part, PGs will interchange for MIA and MIM Fender P basses - the cheaper ones may need a little work to fit around the pickups... Pickguard Heaven and Terrapin are both good sources - I've heard that Warmoth is also, but haven't bought anything from them yet...

- georgestrings
  5. bumperbass

bumperbass

I'm not too concerned with P/U cutouts, but I'm not about to even try to put a screw in sideways because that's just unacceptable. I guess that's why I thought I should go MIM only. I am off to look at Pickguard Heaven and Terrapin. I looked at Jeannie's, but they didn't have anything to interest me.

Thanks, georgestrings.
  6. millertx

millertx Supporting Member

7. bumperbass

bumperbass

Thanks, millertx. Mine's Midnight Blue. Looking for a flag/stars & stripes/just stars/white-pearloid/silverish-pearloid type pickguard. Black is too dark. Midnight blue is almost black on stage, yet it's purple-ish sometimes, and down right BLUE other times, according to light. That's what makes it so hard to pick. This bass has multiple personality disorder.
  8. bumperbass

bumperbass

That's just plain awful! I can't believe how much it's off at the control plate! Yikes!