Pickguards for Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Basje, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Basje

Basje

Hi,
    I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. Great bass, but I want to change the pickguard. But I don't know which one would fit my bass. Any suggestions?
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Just about any Fender pick guard will fit if you change the control plate. They have a different shape where it butts up against the pick guard and is the reason aftermarket pick guards wont fit.
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Go to www.guitarpartsonline.com. they have many pickguards that will fit your Squier VM Jazz. All you need to do is whittle down the area where it meets the control plate a little bit. I've done it. Takes 5 minutes. The screw holes line up perfectly.
  4. Hopkins

Or you can buy a $10 control plate, and not have to "whittle down" the pick guard at all.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I've whittled. Ain't no thang. Ten bucks saved is ten bucks earned.

Dremel actually.
  7. Hopkins

Its also easy to screw up a pick guard if you cut it too deep.
  8. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

^I have to agree there. I don`t trust myself enough that I would be worried about buying two pick guards. I would just get the $10 control plate and never have to worry about filing a pick guard down again(because I would want to change it again in three months probably :D).

-Jake
  9. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Wow. Mmk
  10. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I could do it once, but I can see myself changing the pick guard several times while I would own the bass, making it easier for me to buy the plate. You are likely steadier than I am at trimming plastic though(and the dremel is huge help - bordering on cheating :p).
  11. Goot182

Goot182

This is the closest thread I could find. Does a Fender control plate fit on a Squier VM 70's jazz bass? ANy help is much appreciated.
  12. Hopkins

Yes, the bolt pattern is exactly the same. The difference is the part that butts up against the pick guard on the Squier comes to a point, where the Fender one is rounded. Which is why I suggested getting a new control plate when changing the pick guard.
  13. J Sudjian

J Sudjian

I'm going to be doing this as well. That guitarpartsonline.com looks like they have a lot of choices. What ever happened in the end?
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  14. t77mackie

t77mackie

[​IMG]

I hate pick guards - especially on basses - to me they're like tank tracks on an airplane. Unfortunately the VMJB has some big routes in it and kinda needs a guard.

I'm a model maker and have a bunch of sheet styrene laying around. So when I'm bored I'll create a new P/G for me axe.

That^ was P/G v1.0. I've since changed it to something a little more radical. I'll try to upload a pic of that one tomorrow.
  15. bswag

bswag Not a Real Bass Player Supporting Member

I had the Squire fretless Jazz, and a Stew-Mac tortoiseshell pickguard fit it fine, but only because I moved the control plate down a bit towards the body edge. On the Squire 70's Jazz I had, I screwed up another SM p/g trying to trim it- had problems with the control plate, the pickups (the p/g holes were just too small to allow adjustment of both p/ups), and the neck pocket. Despite patient and deliberate work, I f'd it up anyway. Oops. So be careful if you reach for the Dremel.
  16. Spitfire7

Spitfire7

Disclosures:
    CEO of Spitfire Vintage Tortoiseshell Pickguards
    I might be of some service to you. I make my own tortoise shell material and pickguards. My guards fit the AVRI62, Road Worn, and MIMs. If you're interested I can send you a tracing for you to cut out. I try to make the most accurate vintage tort around. Here are just a few examples.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]