Picking near the neck?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ross AriaPro, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

I use a felt or rubber pick and like the woody tone near the end of the neck.

The strings are looser there and afford less control.

Should I give up and move closer to the bridge...or can picking be mastered at the neck? -Ross.

2. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

You want to be able to pick everywhere. If offers you tonal variations. From the bridge to the end of the neck and even farther.

Yes you can learn to do it.

3. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

I always pick near the neck (between P pups and the fretboard) but primarly due to comfort, though its where i prefer my tone as well. No problem with tension or anything like that. I feel the opposite that picking near the bridge is too stiff, though the tone is neat sometimes.

4. Russell L

Russell L

I play in different places to achieve the tone I need, even varying during the same song, and depending on which string I'm plucking. Or sometimes I'll stick in one place. You need to be able to move around.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Pick wherever you want to get the tone that you want.

7. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

I'm finding I can get a bit more control on looser strings if I hold the pick closer to the end of the fingertips. This lets me feel the string before its plucked.

Thanks for the replies!

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I always play near the bridge. It's not a sound thing, more a tension thingy :p Sounds weird huh? Let me explain : there is more tension on the strings near the bridge than near the neck and I like that tension a lot.

For slapping I do play near the neck, makes it a bit more easier to create a nice sound :)

9. bswag

bswag "What's the ugliest part of your body?" Supporting Member

You can pick that string anywhere between the nut and the bridge! Try it and see what you get; if you like it, get used to it.
    Bass is also good for "pinch harmonics"- that squeely squawk that Billy Gibbons and Roy Buchanan get from guitars; I can get those pretty easy using thumb and fingers on my ABG w/tapewounds. Electric should really skreeek. In a bass-er register, of course.
    Playing near or over the neck on bass also isn't as "hollow" as it sometimes sounds on a guitar. The tone can vary a lot, depending on whether or not you pick at a harmonic point. Experiment, it's all good. For something...

10. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

Check out a finger ramp. Although they are designed for fingerstyle, they work wonders for pick control too. The ramp will limit the amount of the pick that can go past the string. Practice with it for a while and then remove it, you should find that you have a more uniform and controlled pick attack which is what you want in that picking area.

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I sometimes pick near the neck ith my thumb when playing old time country. Pick where you want with what you want.

12. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

i play everywhere from right at the end of the fretboard to about an inch or two away from the bridge. Just depends on the sound i want

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Carol Kaye recommends everyone pick there to ease the tension on the hand. Works for me, although I can pick back farther down the body a bit by using thinner strings.

14. vxjoe

vxjoe

Easier to pick fast by the bridge. Some use the entire string range between the bridge and neck as a tone option. Warm and full at neck, tight and bright by the bridge.

15. Red_Label

Red_Label

I like the huge, fat tone I get when playing near the neck (I even will anchor my thumb on the end of the neck sometimes)... but I like the tension when playing by the bridge. If I could combine that snappy, immediate, tight tension with the big sound of the neck... then I'd have something.