Picking out speakers for 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bobbybass85, Nov 18, 2013.

1. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey everyone!

So I just scored an unbeatable deal on a nameless 2x12 cabinet that is perfect in structure and cosmetics, but has some blown speakers. I'm looking to replace the speakers and I'm hoping to get some insight into the more cerebral factors that go into cab design. I see lots of talk about WinISD, but none of it makes sense to me. So that being said, here's the cab:

Sealed 2x12 cabinet with speakers in the typical diagonal layout.
    Height: 25.75"
    Width: 25.5"
    Depth: 15.875"

Here's what I want: 2 new speakers that have good enough extension down low to be a stand-alone cab for a 4-string, that's occasionally de-tuned to drop C# but keep the punch of a sealed cab. I'll be adding a ported 2x12 down the road to get more speakers and lower extension.

I've been looking at Kappalites, Deltalites, Basslites, Celestions, Jensens.... and I've overloaded myself, so I appreciate your insight.

I play mostly rock, ranging from pop-punk/alternative to heavy rock like Chevelle, with a mix of funk, hip-hop, and worship mixed in.

Thanks for the help guys!
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Your plan is flawed from the getgo. Never expect a random combo of cabs to work well together.

WinISD is pretty easy to deal with. There are many well known drivers preloaded in the software so you plug in your dimensions with the driver of choice and see what gives.

S2012, 2512II, 3012ho, beta12, all from Eminence, are your usual suspects. Best come up with a vertical cab and build two with 16ohm drivers for 8ohm cabs. Kringle77 has done all the work for you if you look up his threads.
  3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    That's a big box. There aren't that many 12" woofers made these days for sealed boxes. None of these are ideal, but imo they're possibilities.

The Eminence Delta 12LF, but it doesn't have much top end. Use the A version for a 4 ohm cab, and the C version (two in series) for an 8 ohm cab.

The Deltalite 2512 II is a decent lightweight possibility with a more aggressive top end, x2 = 4 ohms. The Faital Pro 12PR300-16 (the 16 ohm version) has a smooth and relatively extended top end, x2 in parallel = 8 ohms. I don't recommend the other versions for a sealed cab.

All of these look fartout-prone to me in that big box. For a more fartout-proof cab, go with the Eminence Kappalite 3012LF, but expect to crank in a bit of bass boost because it starts rolling off fairly high (-3 dB at 81 Hz). Fortunately, it has nearly twice the excursion of the others, so it can take some EQ. Again, not much top end.

Welcome to the world of bass cab design. Tradeoffs, always tradeoffs.
  4. bobbybass85

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks guys,

Duke, do you think it'd be worth putting a port into the baffle?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Just send those dimensions to Eminence and they'll come back with a suggestion. I asked the same question to them for a sealed 2x10 cab and they came back with an affordable solution; which I haven't done yet due to other current projects.
  7. bobbybass85

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting, I never thought of that! Thanks philly!
  8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It seems like it shouldn't be hard to add Ports. Since most Bass Cabs have them maybe that'd be the way to go. Then match up some drivers and a good crossover. Just My $.02
    Also, by the time you do all that it might be cheaper to get an Avatar Cab which are pretty sweet for the $$.
  9. bobbybass85

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a good point, but I've got a box that is .3 cu ft smaller than an Avatar and I'm only $50 into the thing... even if I drop $500 worth of speakers and ports into the thing I'd still be coming out ahead cost wise.

I'm going to at least give this a go. I've emailed Eminence to get their suggestions, but as always I appreciate the help here too!
  10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I like to tinker and build too but I would seriously recommend checking out this link.
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/b212.htm
  11. bobbybass85

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been looking long and hard at that cab for about 2 years now. I've even played through one a couple times. Great cab.
  12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    A cab this size could very well benefit from being ported. It would open you up to more driver possibilities and get more power handling out of many of them.
  13. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Yes!

Okay, this is a big box. I suggest tuning to the mid 40's, two 4" diameter ports, each 4" long (44 Hz theoretical tuning frequency). That will work with any of the four woofers I looked at above, and will probably be a decent tuning frequency with most other woofers as well. I would estimate the fartout-limited power handling at 400 watts ballpark with the Delta, Deltalite, and Faital woofers, and 900 watts for the Kappalite.

This wooferlist is of course by no means complete.