1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickles!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 3234718, Feb 18, 2014.

1. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I love pickles. Pickled cucumbers, tomatoes, beets, cabbage. All things pickled.

An appetizer from my favorite Russian restaurant: assorted pickle plate.
    [​IMG]

Kim chi is great too, though it's technically fermented rather than pickled.
    [​IMG]

The Russian restaurant serves red pickled tomatoes which are great, but the green ones are outstanding as well.
    [​IMG]

What are your favorite pickles? Any at-home pickling enthusiasts?
  2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I can deal with beats. I quite like them actually. But all others, I'd have to pass. But those beats, yum.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I love Kim Chi but haven't made any yet. I do make other stuff though. I have a non-dill hot pickle thing I do that won my wife over from a pickle-free life to a pickle obsession. She's also got her co-workers and friends 'hooked' on my pickles, so I may end up having to do big batches... I also make my own bread & Butter pickles, do cuke, cauliflower, peppers, onions, garlic, Jalapenos, etc.

This year, I'll also do green tomatoes and such. :)
  4. fmoore200

fmoore200

What is Kim Chi made of? It looks almost like lasagna. Is it served cold? I would assume so if its pickled.
  5. 3234718

It's Korean fermented cabbage mostly, and often other vegetables. The cheap stuff is, I believe, just pickled with added spices, but the real stuff made in Korea is fermented for months in clay jars buried underground for months.
  6. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

Mmmmmm...pickles! I love pretty much all of it. My preferred felafel joint offers pickled turnips, carrots, and sauerkraut, as well as dill slices among their salad toppings. Yes, please.

I loooove half-sours; for years, they've been a little hard to find. But with the current hipster-trendiness, we're delighted that our local farmer's market now has a fresh pickle vendor.

When pickling cukes are available, Mrs. M makes a mean quick garlic pickle...
  7. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Love the pickles and peppers! And hot cauliflower?? Oooooooo!!
  8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

I love dills, half sours, fried pickles, garlic pickles, and was thrilled when. I noticed local supermarkets are now selling dill relish!
  9. 3234718

Fried pickles are one of the greatest things in the known universe. I prefer chips to spears as the spears stay too juicy, but they're still oustanding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

I love pickling fresh garlic cloves with jalapenos then either eating them straight out of the jar or making Toum with them. Adds a whole other dimension to the sauce.
  11. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

Pro home pickling tip:

Ever wanted to make just regular old pickles pickles? Hate scrubbing the spikes off all those little cucumbers? Have a top-load washing machine? Yes, yes, and yes? Oh good!

Set washer to cold water, gentle cycle, shortest possible wash time. Fill tub 1/3 full of cucumbers. Omit soap. Start washer.

Do other things related to making pickles - prepare jars, chop garlic, whatever. When washer is done, remove ALL the cucumbers from tub. They will be squeaky clean and de-spiked.

Truth.
  12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I like dill pickles and fried pickles. I am not a fan of pickled anything else.
  13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Pickled onions. Either small, sweet silverskin or big chunky eye-waterers.

And pickled birds-eye chilli peppers.
  14. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I am a little bit of a cooking enthusiast. All of this is new to me. Please go on...
  15. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
  16. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

You prefer your liver pickled?

I just make some fava beans.....:ninja: And maybe a nice glass of wine
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Mmmm...pickles!
  18. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Doodley doo!
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I found some spicy pickles from Dave's Gourmet once, they were good. I haven't found them since that one time.

-Mike
  20. elgecko

elgecko

A Mexican restaurant cannot be "good" unless they have some of this in the salsa bar!

[​IMG]