1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickup and Bridge Covers on Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basstreble, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Basstreble

Basstreble

So I have Pickup and Bridge covers on my two fenders and they look great! BUT, they have their cons and pros. I can used the pickup cover as a palm-rest so I can play with a pick or my thumb, playing mowtown-type songs with my middle finger resting on the cover and just using 1 finger:(Jamerson hook), and even using it as a thumb anchor. BUT, i can be kind of a nuisance to me. I can't really slap all too well because the guard gets in my way, I don't have enough room to palm mute, and I can't always get to the sweet spot or move my hand around. So do you think that I should keep the Covers on, or off?
  2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

For me, they look great, but they get in the way; Especially the bridge cover because I like to palm mute.
  3. Rotwang

Rotwang

I've been noticing some bass players in "new kuntry" bands leave the bridge cover off, but keep the pu cover on.
  4. DougieB

DougieB

I have 2 Fender J Basses and I keep the PU cover on as I use it as a thumb rest when I play. I removed the Bridge covers as they interfere with my playing on the odd occasion that I use a pick.
    Hipe that helps.
    Cheers
  5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I had the covers on my SCPB. Had.
    They both eventually ended up getting in way, so I have a few extra holes in my bass now. Debating on drilling them out a little further and installing threaded inserts for the covers. It's overkill but at least it'll look a little nicer.
  6. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

I love the way they look,but they tend to get in my way too. I simply can't play with the p'up cover on and I've resorted to attaching the bridge cover with velcro tape along the length of the cover's 'wings'. It works great,allowing quick and easy removal/attachment of the cover and the tape leaves no residue when fully removed. Another plus is the velcro is juuuust thick enough that it allows clearance for a high-mass bridge..
  7. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

I've been considering doing this for my Ursa. I've thought about doing this in conjunction with getting some really flat thumbscrews that don't have a lot of rise in the head. I'd be more a matter of convenience for me. I figure doing this, I can get the covers on and off at a whim without having to go grab a screw driver. Now to find some flat headed thumbscrews that won't look too out of place.
  8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I'm so used to playing with covers that a bass without them feels naked to me.

Have a squier p defretted but took the covers off to put them on my main bass and now it's like, hmm something's missing here...

Then again I don't slap and my personal sweetspots are just before and after the pup...

Ymmv, for pickplaying they do get in the way for me too since they make right hand muting hard with a pick... ButnI rarely do that either, and when I do it's nothing flashy... I consider myself a meat and taters kind of finger player...
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Just get some extra pickguard screws, or leave the cover screws in there.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman

I attack in different places, based on what tone I want. I can't have them, which is too bad, because I think they look great!
  11. ahc

ahc

It's only two screws per cover. Not much time or effort invested in experimenting with them on or off. FYI, I've never used them in 40+ years of playing.
  12. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess." Supporting Member

There are reasons those covers are called ashtrays, one of which is that they aren't useful for anything else. I only had one Fender style bass equipped with covers, way back in the late 70's. I promptly took them off and had to explain to my mom why I tore up my brand new bass. Covers look cool and traditional and all, but for a lot of us they're strictly cosmetic.
  13. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Great thread. Thanks for the informative posts.

Got covers, yet just cannot bring myself to drill a bass. Might have to buy a Fender with covers already on! Also wonder about sweet spot, muting and all that.

BTW Lakland owners only have the option of a pup cover, as the oval bridge won't fit underneath the bridge ashtray. So only half as many holes, and on the PG to boot. Hmmm.
  14. Davo-London

Davo-London

I can't stand them I must say. I always feel they get in the way. That's me but I would say 90%+ keep them off.

Davo
  15. Jaco D

Jaco D

I used 3M double-sided tape to experiment. Funny thing is when I got the location and feel right, I just forgot about drilling holes.
  16. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

glad this thread came about. i love the look of the covers, was playing with the idea of buying some, think it might be a mistake.......

i didn't consider lack of palm muting on the fly.
  17. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I literally just took the pickup cover of of my roadworn P, but I have bridge covers on almost all of my other Ps
  18. endy_y_p

endy_y_p

Why won't they (or may be us) come up with an 'clip-on' or may be a strong magnet to hold the cover, and an easy come off we need it.

just IMHO.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

It literally takes no more than 20 seconds to remove the two screws holding down a cover. This post kind of reminds me of the velcro "break away" tuxedo concept.
  20. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I love the look of covers. Although personally I prefer a bridge cover only.