Pickup Booster or Gain Booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xhoss999, Feb 3, 2013.

1. xhoss999

xhoss999

Can anyone recommend some cheap pedal to increase the gain out from the bass pickups

2. krstko

krstko

there are many boosters out there .. I'd go with LPB-1 (because of price) .. also I think mxr has one nice booster .. you can also use many overdrive pedals for boost if you turn gain all the way down

3. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: DarkglassElectronics.com
    I would agree with the LPB-1 or the MXR Microamp, both can boost and are affordable.
    Regards, Doug.

4. xhoss999

xhoss999

What I got from internet is that EHX-LPB1 is for Electric Guitars Gain booster and EHX-The Mole is for Bass Guitar Gain booster... is that right ??

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xhoss999

xhoss999

extremely confused :)-(
    MXR Microamp 80$
    Symore Duncan SFX-01
    MXR M80 140$
    Aguilar Tone Hammer 210$
    EBS Microbass II
    SansAmp BDDI 200$
    Boss GEB-7 100$
    Behringer Bass BEQ-700 40$
    Hartke Bass Attack 100$
    Tech21 Bass
    Aphex Bass Xciter
    Xotic RX Booster
    MarkBass Super Booster 130$
    EHX-The Mole 42$

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I believe that the Mole boosts specific low end frequencies, while the LBP1 boosts the entire frequency range evenly. They're both valuable tools, but they're not interchangeable.

8. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

The mole is only a bass booster so it probably wouldn't help at all, the lpb1 is probably your best bet or the mxr micro amp

9. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

The Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B is an amazing booster for bass, although it does colour your sound, and isn't clean as other boosters (it can get quite gritty, but in a good way). I have it as an "always-on" pedal and it really gives my '74 Rick 4001 a massive sound.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it's still an amazing booster.

10. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    Seriously, EHX LPB-1. It's really for all the instruments. LPB-1 stands for 'linear power booster,' meaning it provides an even boost throughout the audible frequency range.

The Mole is not a 'bass guitar' booster, it is a bass frequency booster, and will significantly change the sound going into it.

The only thing I would consider on this list for you would be the GEB-7 or BEQ-7*. An EQ is far more versatile than a straight boost pedal.

All those pedals have a purpose, and all can boost, but for most of them it isn't their primary function.

*Boss is generally considered superior to Behringer, but that isn't always true with every pedal. I don't have any personal experience comparing these two.

11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

long ago, i used a boss compressor pedal as a boost. i turned the compressor controls to 'no effect' and turned up the 'level' knob. i used it to punch up my bass line in the mix when needed.

12. Meddle

Meddle

EHX LPB-1 is just a tweaked Alembic Stratoblaster as far as I remember. With a wee bit of veroboard and $15 of components you could build your own!!

13. xhoss999

xhoss999

Hmm my e-search states -- pickup booster (for bass)
    1. EHX LPB-1
    2. MXR MicroAmp
    3. Catalinbread Serrano Picoso
    3. Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B
    4. Seymore Duncan SFX-01
    5. Xotic RC Booster
    6. Tesla PickupBooster MK-2
    7. Lee Jackson Bitch Boost

14. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    IMO you are way over thinking this. Choose and deal with the consequences. The worst that can happen is you're out 40 bucks and have decided you don't need a boost pedal. The best is it does exactly what you want for a low cost. You either learn a lesson or you learn a lesson and get great guitar tone.

Good luck.

15. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

An LPB-1 is the simplest single transistor preamp that can be made. It works, but the headroom is limited, it's rather low input impedance may dull the bass a little. It will do the job, but nearly anything else is better.

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Most of those will "color" your tone. If you like your tone but just want it louder search for "clean boost" (the ehx will be your cheapest price point). If you like your tone but want just a touch more grit, there are a number of choices including a few popular ones on your list that are often referred to as "dirty boosts" which vary in tone from unit to unit.

17. xhoss999

xhoss999

Yes you are right, but all I wanted is to conclude what I found from internet and blogs so that if any other person ends up to this page searching some similar thing, he/she finds the best of conclusions given by you such experienced and technical people :)