1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickup choice/placement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Freddels, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I am in the process of building a P/J bass. I have a nice P body and will have it routed for the J pickup.

I was going to use Aguilar P/J pickups and a ToneStyler but now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm thinking of going with the Bartolini P/J set and either a Bart or Aggie 3 band preamp.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, pickup placement for the J pickup. There's the 60's, 70's and the Pedulla placement. I've read that Pedulla has the J pickup centered at 32" from the nut. Can anyone with a Pedulla P/J confirm this? Not sure if this would only work with the Barts or not.
  2. SalmonCubes

SalmonCubes

Pickups and electronics are all gonna be a matter of personal preference. I personally am an EMG guy, but I haven't heard much good about Aguilar pickups. Bartolinis are always a good choice. As for a preamp, how many holes for pots do you have?
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Since it's a P bass body, I could have 4 holes and it would still look ok. Of course, the body would probably need a little extra routing (under the pickguard area) to fit the preamp in.
  4. iunno

iunno

70s position sounds best with P/Js IMO. 60s is a little too close and can get very nasal.