Pickup choice/placement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Freddels, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I am in the process of building a P/J bass. I have a nice P body and will have it routed for the J pickup.

I was going to use Aguilar P/J pickups and a ToneStyler but now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm thinking of going with the Bartolini P/J set and either a Bart or Aggie 3 band preamp.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, pickup placement for the J pickup. There's the 60's, 70's and the Pedulla placement. I've read that Pedulla has the J pickup centered at 32" from the nut. Can anyone with a Pedulla P/J confirm this? Not sure if this would only work with the Barts or not.
  2. SalmonCubes

SalmonCubes

Pickups and electronics are all gonna be a matter of personal preference. I personally am an EMG guy, but I haven't heard much good about Aguilar pickups. Bartolinis are always a good choice. As for a preamp, how many holes for pots do you have?
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Since it's a P bass body, I could have 4 holes and it would still look ok. Of course, the body would probably need a little extra routing (under the pickguard area) to fit the preamp in.
  4. iunno

iunno

70s position sounds best with P/Js IMO. 60s is a little too close and can get very nasal.
  5. Register to disable this ad