Pickup covers...a puzzle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raspberries, Dec 31, 2012.

1. raspberries

raspberries

I am seeking a cover for a pickup in a vintage American P Bass (c. 1958). It has a post factory mod. pickup added. The pickup has no notation on it at all, but looks exactly like a Jazz pickup, and I ordered a set of authentic Fender Jazz pickup covers for it, but they do not quite fit - the cover goes over the pickup, but the holes in the top do not align exactly. Are there slightly different models of Jazz pickups? Are there other pickups that look just like the Jazz?
  2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

I assume you know that jazz pups come in two lengths: neck and bridge? You ordered a standard set or two of the same item?
  3. raspberries

raspberries

I got the set with the two different covers. One of them does not fit at all, and the other one does fit the pickup, but the holes do not line up.
  4. 96tbird

One possibility: if thee is an odd number of magnets 9 instead of 8, it is a Wilde pickup by Bill Lawrence. Go to Wilde website to order. If not, it may be that it was designed to fit in a cover that has no mag holes. Like Nordstrand pickups. Never having used nordys I can't say as to the poles being standard spacing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. raspberries

raspberries

No, only 8 magnets. It has a cover that fits perfectly, but it has cracked and a piece has fallen out of it. This is a pic of it with the replacement fender cover on it - you may be able to see how the holes don't quite line up with the magnets on the left hand side of the pic. Also, I now notice that inside the old cover, there is a notation : WSC and R3....

Attached Files:

7. 96tbird

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

there it is; the cover is right, it's the pickup that's "wrong".

might be a good excuse to just get a better one, especially a hum-canceling one (since a single coil won't hum-cancel with the P pickup).

may i suggest the dimarzio area J bridge? it'll look and sound vintage, have no hum, and combine nicely with a vintage P pickup.
  9. raspberries

raspberries

It's actually a "loaner" so I don't want to change anything, just restore it to the state it was in when I got it - but thanks for your interest :)
  10. raspberries

raspberries

Ohhh, how awesome are you, 96tbird?? I have done a LOT of googling with no success. Mustn't have held my mouth right. Thank you! I will order one of those and I have high hopes for success!
  11. 96tbird

Glad to help! I hope it works out, good thing you saw that WSC in the original. Just remember there are the two sizes. Good luck.
  12. raspberries

raspberries

Yep, not sure which one I'll need so I'll just order one to start with, 50% chance it will be the right one! Thanks again.
  13. 96tbird

Just measure them. If both the same you need the neck size cover likely. If different, get the neck or bridge as needed.