pickup dilemma

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pablop, Jan 7, 2013.

1. pablop

pablop Supporting Member

I have a Kramer DMZ5000 and a Yamaha BB1000S, both have very weak bridge pickups, I am split between buying replacements or having the original pickups re-wound.

I like to keep my basses as close to original so I lean towards re-wiring the pickups, my local tech says he has done it before, I have not done that before so if anyone has experience with the results I would appreciate the feedback.

It's either that or buying a vintage bridge pickup for the kramer at least, there is one for sale that reads 6.5k is that good enough?
  2. Cadfael

Cadfael

I have a Fender Aerodyne P-Bass Special ...
    I replaced the bridge PU by a DiMazio Humbucker - and the brigde PU still has no chance against the P pickup. Even with paperboard under the foam to get it higher ...

I think it's the destiny of a PJ? :meh:

The Kramer is no problem with its J PU. But this is already a DiMazio??? The Yamaha surely would have to be custom rewound.

Is it only the loudness differnce and not the sound?
    Would the bridge be okay if you raise the Gain of your amp?
    In my wiring compendium is a solution. You can throttle down the output of the neck pickup by putting in a trim-pot. If you want to keep the full high tones, add a capacitor (like in my drawing).
    Thwart the neck PU until it fits to the bridge PU and increase the Gain of the amp ...

The drawing is 2.6.03 (page 196 at the moment):
    http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t2...chaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html
    (5.6 MB PDF at the end of the page)

If you don't want to thwart the neck PU you have rewire or find hotter bridge PUs ...
  3. pablop

pablop Supporting Member

with the yamaha the issue is both weak volume and uneven response, E and A have much higher volume than D and G strings.

The kramer has the same issue, I just figured that I can get new di marzios on cream, so I most likely will buy a DP148

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/ultra-jazz-bridge

I guess that would do the trick for the Kramer, hopefully I can keep the old pickup cover on the new pickup so that it looks old...
    Now as far as the Yamaha goes, any tips on re-wounding a pickup?
    Anybody has experience with this?