Pickup fell into my bass, how to fix?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myrriad, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac59/Myrriad2/ghjhr/photobucket-43427-1357504872807.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac59/Myrriad2/ghjhr/photobucket-50342-1357504871920.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac59/Myrriad2/ghjhr/photobucket-25756-1357504867852.jpg

The bridge pickup arrived fallen into the bass (shipped). Is this something as easy as unscrewing it and adding a few layers of foam?

Sorry for creating a second topic on this, but the earlier post's title didn't really specify the problem.
  2. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

Yeah, just stuff a little foam in there and you'll be good to go.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Weird for a new bass.
    But, yes, Foam under the pickups, springs or rubber tubing over the screws all will work. No biggie at all.
  4. Myrriad

Myrriad

One bump just to get a few more opinions and make sure it's an easy fix.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would demand a new one why should you have to "fix" a new bass? I know it's minor but it could be a sign of more things to come.
  7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

He bought it as B stock. MF should have fixed this, but they did not. There is bsolutely no reason to thinkit is a "sign of more things to come." That is just being pessimistic.

OP: Like I said in your last thread, take the screws out, see if it pops up by itself. It may just be jammed down and bound against the screws. If not, put some foam underneath. Asking again isn't going to make the answer any different,

If you don't want to do that, send it back and don't buy B stock anymore.
  8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    my guess is its just missing the springs on the screws
  9. Myrriad

Myrriad

Forgot to mention it was a B-Stock bass haha.
  10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

First I didn't know it was B Stock didn't see that anywhere and I said it "could" be a sign demanding a new bass that doesn't have any issues makes common sense to me but to each their own.
  11. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

100% not a big deal do as mentioned above
  12. Myrriad

Myrriad

People said to just cut up a mouse pad and use that, that ok or should i find a certain type of foam?
  13. micgtr71

micgtr71

I would go for the foam other than the springs for the added support. Doing both would really stabilize it.
  14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Even when everything is normal, I regularly add foam under the pickups. I like the pickup to be "fixed," and not have any give when I rest my hand on it. So, even with a bass without this kind of issue, I am likely to add foam under the pickups. The issue woudn't give me any concern, although it would annoy me a little that the seller had this little concern about what they were selling.

I guess this answers the question from the other thread about whether MF inspects their basses before shipping them...
  15. mcnach

mcnach

Yes, that will work just fine. Really easy, don't worry.
  16. bootsox

bootsox

any foam would work fine, people just suggest mousepads because they're something people tend to have and not need
  17. Myrriad

Myrriad

Got the pickup back level, but couldn't actually get it off to add the foam. It stays level, and while I can still push it back to where it was, it now springs back up. Is this something that can wait to fix, or will it damage the instrument leaving it how it is?
  18. elgecko

elgecko

You couldn't get it off? Did you strip the screws or something?

It won't hurt the bass.
  19. bootsox

bootsox

sounds like the pickup was just caught in a bind between the screws and the wood. you probably don't need to fix anything
  20. rfslick

rfslick

+1. More than likely the pickup was just pushed down a little crookedly and stuck on the threads of the screw.
  21. Myrriad

Myrriad

I'd gotten the screws all off easily (and back on) it just seemed to be stuck.