1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pickup for Jump blues, Rab & Roots music

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mav, Mar 9, 2014.

1. mav

mav

I've posted this in the rockabilly section also but it would be good to get some general opinions too.
    Time to have my bass setup after 10 years of being used and abused. I'm getting a new bridge fitted and have a new set of Innovation Rab's. My bass is a 4/4 solid top with a darkish tone.
    I've been using a Fishman FC until my bridge popped out and it broke. So time for a new pickup.
    My Luthier has recommended having a Realist installed with the new bridge and assures me it will sound great, not muddy with enough high end and be able to play loud.
    My online research shows the the Realist is prone to feedback at loud volumes.
    I'm undecided and thinking an Underwood style pickup might be better, Shadow SH950 or K&K bass max. I do a bit of slapping. I use the Fishman Pro Plat with my setup. Do any jump blues, roots players use the Realist? or recommend the Underwood style pickup?

2. LowG

LowG

No answer to your question, but what did you dislike about the full circle?

3. mav

mav

I had no problem with the FC, great pickup. It's just come down to budget and availablity, need my bass repaired before Friday and my pickup choices are limited.

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

I've had the underwood, fc and realist on the same bass. I did have more feedback issues with the realist than the fc. I liked both more than the underwood for sound but preferred the fc. I play jazz though, no rab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't care for the Realist. I think it's way dark and needs a ton of EQ to work, and yeah, feedback. I'm using the Clef Rev Solo II and have for a few years now and I love it and have no desire to change it. Not used the Underwood, but a lot of rockabilly players swear by it but only if you use one element on the bass side. I used the K&K Bass Max once and it was great. The FC was real nice, too, much better than that dang BP100. Out of all those choices, though, the Realist and the BP100 are the only ones I wouldn't snag.

7. ctxbass

ctxbass

Maybe your luthier is recommending the Realist Lifeline pickup. I switched to this after using the Rev Solo II for a few years. It has plenty of undistorted output without feedback issues, and requires no modification to the pickup or bass. I do not think the original Realist is well suited to anything but low volume playing.