1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickup height and other questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Crispin38, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Crispin38

Crispin38

Hello, I'm a little new to playing, but very interested in learning more.
    I'm currently rocking a Schecter raider special-5. I haven't adjusted or changed anything on the guitar except tuning down to A standard; I play some hardcore, death metal and mainstream rock.
    I'm looking for some deeper/warmer tones. I've read that I can adjust the height of my pickups to get a different tone. Is this true?
    Also, since I'm looking for a deeper/warmer/flatter tone, what do you recommend I use for strings? (taking into consideration the style of music I play)

Thanks,
    -CB
  2. oniman7

oniman7

You can, however, try technique first. Play with the pad of your finger and up near the neck. Roll towards the neck pickup. Do you know who Arif from protest the hero is? He uses half wound strings for that kind of tone. Also, reduce treble on your bass and push mids and low mids up.
  3. cnltb

cnltb

Pickup hight does make a difference.
    The strings do also make a difference.
    Where you pluck the strings has quite an impact on what you get also.( closer to, or further away from the bridge)
  4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

By "a little" I assume under a year......
    Good looking bass. As you are "a little new to playing" I would think about staying with standard tuning as most of the instructions, patterns, tabs, etc. will use standard tuning. After you get some licks, patterns, etc. into your bag of tricks you can alter your tuning if you still want to. If you alter the tuning your patterns of where the notes are on your fretboard change. Highly recommend you learn on standard tuning first
    Yes. However, height of the pickups, IMHO, has more to do with getting less fret buzz and crisper notes than tone. Already mentioned, where between the fret you place your finger has a lot to do with the tone. I try to be right behind the fret, if not right on the fret. I have a friend that likes to be right in the middle of the fret space, of course I recommend my placement. Talk to a tech at your local music store, most new basses come right out of the box, and get no adjustment, i.e. what the factory gave them is what you got. Let a tech play your instrument, then you two talk.
    Lot of people like flats, I'm not an authority on this. Talk to the tech about this while you are on the pickup subject. I like the double bass sound you get from some sponge rubber over or under the strings at the bridge. I go under. Google will point you to some info on how to do that, or again, discuss this with the tech. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/foam-rubber-mutes-398011/

I'm not sure what a set of flats and a set up (height adjustment) would cost, but, from the questions you are asking, I would think you would get your money's worth, if you could stick around and watch what the tech does with your instrument. I think you would like seeing the adjustment process.

Have fun.
  5. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

A lot of basses and guitars come out of the box with the pick-ups far too close to the strings. This will actually give you less sustain, as the pick-up magnets interfere with the string vibration, especially the neck pick-up. There's plenty of websites that will give you measurements for pup height, but lower them first and then gradually raise them until you get the best tone. A professional set-up is worth the money, but after it's done, measure everything so you can do it yourself next time (there's plenty of web info on how to measure string height, etc).

I agree with Malcolm about playing in standard tuning as well. Tuning that low won't do much for your tone either.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Moved to setup.
  7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Yes adjsuting the pups for best sound is part of basic setup of the bass. This of course means adjsuting the beck and bridge pups according to personal preferance using your ears to listen. If you have adjustable pole peices you have more adjustment ability, but theres not many pups with this basic feature.