pickup height ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wolffire99, Nov 1, 2013.

1. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

I think I need to lower my pickups but thought I'd run it by the experts here first to make sure I'm not missing something.

I'm using a g&l SB-1 (stock pickups are HOT) with an aguilar tone hammer 350.

With the -10db pad OFF I get some high gain distortion, think ugly sounding growl, when I play even a little aggressively. This is mostly in the lowest octave and especially open E and A strings.

With the -10db pad ON it fixes the distortion but cuts the volume too much IMO.

Can I find a happy medium by adjusting pickup height?

2. Immigrant

Immigrant

Use the G&L specs (I've seen the online somewhere) to set your pickup height.

IMO, if you're engaging the pad and the distortion stops, it isn't the pup height. If I were you, I'd crank the master on the Aggie and use the gain to control your volume. Once you start to break up, that's as far as you should go. The other way would be to set your master at about 10 o'clock, then adjust gain until it clips. Then re-adjust the master to desired volume. If you still can't get loud enough, more speakers or a different rig are in order.

Edit: I Googled the Aggie and see it has a clip light. Use the second method above.