1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pickup help...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eupharies, Jan 7, 2013.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    Ok so i got a custom landing bass made ( i love it )

I decided to go active and went overboard, EMG HB pickups with and EMG BTC system, 3 way pickup selector, bass/treble can be cut/boosted individually on each pickup etc...

Its to much.......!

I just want less now haha,

My backup bass VM squier jaguar, precision / jazz pups, vol,vol,bass boost, master tone.... THATS ALL I WANT!

I can dial in the most amazing tones ever... but with my custom god it takes work, and i cant get the same sound i can with the Squier, mainly i guess as i have humbuckers rather than prec/jazz...

What would your suggestions be.... what can i put it in to make it easier....

2. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

It does sound like you have a pretty involved set up there, but, my first question would be: How long have you had it?
    If you just got it, you might be feeling like you're in "way over your head" just because the new set up is so flexible. I would suggest giving it some more time. The other thing I would do is to take the pickup selections in small increments. For example, spend a few hours or night playing with just one pickup and it's tone control and learn what sounds that gives you. Then move to the other pickup and do the same thing. You're going to find a number of settings that you like. Then, listen to different combinations as you get more familiar with them.
    That's the best way to learn a more complicated set up.

3. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    Had it a year now! At the moment i literally set it flat, and just use the amp which kinda defeats the purpose of the setup! but.. a tiny alteration can wreck the tone, i can get my bass sounding amazing through MY CAB, but at practise and gigs when i dont always have it ... it sounds awful!

I defo will spend some time with it the next week and see what i can do!