1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickup layout

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ILLINOX, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

I tried searching here and came up with 100's of threads.

How do you guys determine where to place your pups?

That's it. Thanks
  2. Beej

Beej

Mount a pickup so it is suspended above the strings (not underneath in a route). Plug it in and move it around, and when you find a spot you like, mark it, route it and install... :)
  3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It's a good idea. Leo Fender made a similar jig that is still in his workshop.
  4. Mister Know Not

Mister Know Not

Great tip thanx..!
  5. chalie

chalie

If you are a Fender Jazz fan and you wanted to get the sound somewhere areound there then you just copy the position same as Jazz by mesuring the distance away from 12th fret. (in any case you should mount the neck to the body together with the bridge on the right position before making the marks for pups placement). Many bass guitar makers copy the Jazz as it can not be wrong.
  6. chalie

chalie

BTW .. please bare in mind that there is no real sweet spot for you to find as it all depends on your momentary preference ... the room the amp the strings etc
    Therefore you should find a place that is most common
  7. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

It seems that many bass pickups are placed at harmonic "chime spots". You know, like when a finger is lightly placed on a string and plucked with the other hand and a chime is heard (like at the 12 fret). The Fender Basses seem to be this way.

I want to make a P Bass here the E & A coil is kept in the same location but the D & G coil is moved to the neck side of the configuration (instead of the usual bridge side). Not an original idea since some builders have already done this. I'd like to hear how it sounds.

Good luck on finding your very own "sweet spots" for you bass pickups.
  8. kevteop

kevteop

I suppose that's all well and good when playing the open strings, but becomes fairly irrelevant as soon as the player stops a note on the fingerboard somewhere (except I suppose the 12th fret).
  9. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

Kevteop makes a good argument, but I liked the idea of mounting the pups above the strings.
    The idea I was toying with was, as this is my first build, cutting a trench through the body and putting the pups on a rail where I can slide them around and lock them in place, eventually finding my favorite spot and copying THAT placement on my next build.
    Building a tool, I suppose you could call it :D
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes

What kind of tone do you want? The combination of the pickup and its position on the classic basses determine its tone. I also used an inexpensive pickup which I held above the strings in various positions to help a friend determine his pickup placements for his custom bass.

Most basses that have "reversed" P-pickups have actually completely reversed the segments, instead of just putting the DG segment on the neck side, to give the E and A strings more growl. Moving just the DG segment will give you a tone on those two strings more like the original single coil P-bass, but with less attack due to the dual pole piece per string setup.
  11. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

I am in agreement with you about strings, EQing, and environment have an influence on tone though IMO it's secondary to pickup placement.

The "sweet spot" theory is proven over the years as a primary variable for distinguishing the specific tone of the instrument.
    Musicman placement = focused and scooped, P bass= mid heavy, full, and round, J bass = balanced and clean , EBO = muddy and thumpy.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

You might think so, and I don't completely disagree with you, but don't forget that those are also four completely different pickup designs. And in the case of the MM, the preamp is designed to contribute to that scooped tone as well.
  13. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

You might think so, and I don't completely disagree with you, but don't forget that those are also four completely different pickup designs. And in the case of the MM, the preamp is designed to contribute to that scooped tone as well.[/QUOTE]

+1
  14. Ol'Bass'ead

Ol'Bass'ead

Actually, Jazz basses of different years (eras?) had the pickups in various spacings. Rule od thumb? the closer to the bridge the more trebly and less perceived out put, the closer to the neck the more bassy and more perceived output.