Pickup options for a MusicMan Stingray 5.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 777LaJr777, Mar 5, 2014.

1. 777LaJr777

777LaJr777

What up. I'm the owner of a MM Stingray 5. I believe it was made somewhere in 2006. Anyway, the main thing in this thread is to ask for people who had changed the stock pickup in their basses. I believe that my bass have the 3 coil version of the pickup so what brands offer pickups in this option? Gimme your opinions on the common brands for example Bartolini, Norstrand, Seymour Duncan, etc etc. Another question, if I happen to make the decission of installing any particular pickup, it will work with the stock preamp? The wiring would be almost identical to the original? Thanks.

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What do you dislike about the stock pickup? What are you looking to gain by changing it?

3. 777LaJr777

777LaJr777

I don't dislike it exactly, i'd say it lacks a full complete tone, if that makes sense. I want a pickup to have more body and more attack. The stock for me lacks a lot of midrange. For me it doesn't have an even tone, I'd define it by having a naturally scooped voicing and I know that this kind of tone defines the Stingray but ehhmm:meh: ... If I boost the mids, it gives me a very nasally tone which I really don't like. I was searching for audio examples and I've come across with this video which the seymour duncan (3:40 mark more or less) defines the tone that I am looking for which I consider really even. Hope this wall of text makes any sense and thanks for looking.

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Interesting.

I wouldn't say a Stingray has a natural scooped voicing at all. The video you posted is what a scooped J bass sounds like. Your Stingray isn't going to sound like that. The section of the video you're trying to emulate, with Duncan 1/4lbers? They are known to be very scooped sounding as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Down_Low

Down_Low