1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickup + Piezo wiring Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phangtonpower, Aug 17, 2013.

1. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I have a cheap acoustic bass with a pretty standard under the bridge piezo pickup and preamp. I want to add a lace ultra slim pick up to it.

I've done my research, but couldn't find a definitive answer. I wanted to wire the Lace with a volume and tone. The tone pot would then go to a blend pot. The piezo preamp's output would then go to the blend pot. After the blend pot would be a master volume then to the output jack.

Would this work? Do I still need a buffer between the preamp and the blend pot? What Value pot would you guys recommend for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

no good, active and passive signals won't "blend". you'd just hear the active sound by itself.

you'd need a preamp that had two inputs, one for mags and one for the passive piezo itself. bartolini makes them, as does fishman.
  3. line6man

line6man

Yep, there is a fairly extreme difference of output impedance that would just short out the piezo, without buffers. Plus, you don't want that piezo seeing the low input impedance of your amp, or the parasitic capacitance of your cable. The magnetic pickups need to be buffered, too, because once the piezo is buffered, the output impedance of the magnetic pickups will be higher than the buffer output, so the magnetic pickups will get loaded down if you combine the signals. But once you get both signals buffered, you can combine them with a blend pot, and there won't be any issues.
  4. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

So if I where to get one of those preamps, would wiring the battery in series to run the both preamps be ok?