1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

pickup poles?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by natas, Feb 2, 2014.

1. natas

natas

what really is the use of the pickup poles?
    do they need to be exactly under each strings?
    can i use a single coil with wider pole spacing on a tight-spaced bass?
    TIA and more power!

2. pfox14

pfox14

The pole pieces focus the electro-magnetic energy in one particular spot, so they have to be pretty close to centered under the strings.

3. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I have found that it does not make a huge difference. One very popular pickup, the Bill Lawrence Wilde P46 has extra pole pieces and none of them are designed to be under the string.

4. line6man

line6man

Pole pieces create the magnetic field that the strings disturb. They don't need to be spaced exactly under the strings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bonruiz

bonruiz

Thanks for this info, I've noticed that we have too much info on precision set ups and often wonder which ones really count. So I use my ears w/ trial and error to test everything.

Cheers!
    :cool:

7. natas

natas

as long as they are single coils right? i does make a difference if they are split coils and the string is directly on top of the gap of the windings? i'm not even sure about that too so correct me if i'm wrong