1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

pickup problems???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by unclebass, Dec 17, 2012.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I am looking for information if anyone can help. I just purchased a 2011 or 2012 fender blacktop jazz bass from a college kid, only to get home and find that the pickups at the neck have almost zero output. If you turn the neck pickup all the way up, you can hear signal, but it is very weak. When you turn the bridge pickup less than five percent, it surpasses the neck pickup volume. It sounds great, but I need to know if my problem is in the pickups or in the pot. This thing is in near pristine condition and shows no sign of having been messed with. Pickup height is not the problem, I even tried to set the neck pickups so high that they nearly touched the strings, only helped a little. I know there is someone out there that can lead me the right direction.:help:

2. carldogs

carldogs

Try disconecting the pickup from the pots and run it straight to the out jack even disconecting the bridge pickup from the out jack so you only dealing with the neck pickup in the circuit, check the volume, if there is still low output then it would point to a pickup problem or a bad connection from the pickup, if output is good then the problem is sitting with the pots. I would start there good luck.

3. unclebass

unclebass

thanks, will try this weekend. hope its a pot!!

4. unclebass

unclebass

Checked out and found that neck pickup is bad. Need to replace, but would like some input as to what I should replace it with. This bass has a pickup by the bridge that I would rather not replace, is there another type of pickup that I could use for the neck(middle) position? Do I need to replace with the same original pickup so it doesn't clash with neck pickup? Have had no experience with dual precision pickups, do not know what direction to go.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Try heating the brass eyelets on the pickup where the lead wires attach with a soldering iron and see if the pickup comes back to life.

7. unclebass

unclebass

after checking resistances, i found that on the pickup wiring resistances were fine, but on the lead to pots resistance changed drastically. resoldered over connection, problem solved. plays great!!!

8. carldogs

carldogs

Glad to hear you did not have to replace pickup.
    Carl

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    :bassist: