Pickup question

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by Notgivingin, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Notgivingin

Notgivingin

Hi Mr. Wellington,

I want to say I learned about you from watching the groove workshop and appreciate your skill as a teacher and musician. I am a new bassist and I am looking to find the right bass. I like the sound of the PJ pickup setup but I am told that it can have a buzz with things that operate at 60hz. Is that true for the newer pickups? Should I just go with hum buckers instead?

Thank you in advance!

2. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

I am def! not Ant! lol. But my opinion is both! If you're in the market for a Bass. Ant may! agree.. I say find a Active/Passive Bass with a J style and! a Buck. It wont cost ya that much more if any. And gives ya a full range. The Basses Ant plays are similar! (Although muchola better) but my Carvin LB-75 which is only 1000 new has one J-99 and one D-50 double wound Buck. It also has a coil tap toggle and blend knob. So you can go back and forth. And cut the double wound to a single with a coil tap. IMHO! Just having one or the other isnt enough unless you play one genre. I dont notice the pickup noise but I have a noise gate. Now Ant can elaborate and quite! possibly even school me and disagree. lol.

3. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Hey NGI!

The easiest solution is to have different tools for different applications. Having multiple basses would address that.

But knowing the sound that you want will address that. Sometimes it's harder when you have so many choices.

But Jason is correct,...

I love my basses that allow me to switch to between single and dual coil(and active/passive). An electronics guy told me that there's no 100% way to switch between single and dual coil but in my #1 and #2 Fodera, having the ability to switch makes a world a difference.

peace,
    anthony

4. Notgivingin

Notgivingin

Thank you both!! I appreciate you helping a beginner. I hope to concur 8th notes soon. Can't seem to get them right. I know to you that is silly but it is where I am at. I can keep quarter noted in common time fine but can't seem to keep a steady 8th note. Don't worry I is coming soon.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

The 'struggle' is where all the fun is!!!! It's just a matter of perspective.
    -aw

7. Notgivingin

Notgivingin

I have to say I am loving it!! You do Skype lessons? Where do I get information about that?

8. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I am one of the pioneers of Skype lessons. Being doing them since 2007. Most teachers and student have just discovered Skype lessons.

Go to:

www.bassology.net

And read the student policy.

-aw