1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pickup Recommendation Please (for some old thump thump)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by twiz, Nov 25, 2012.

1. twiz

twiz

I have a 2003 Ibanez SRX700 (a la Carol Kaye) and I have played it nonstop for 10 years. Countless gigs, everything else with one darn set of TI flatwounds. I play through an Acoustic Image set up (or occasionally through a Carvin Microbass combo). I play walking jazz bass lines with flatwounds, pick and mute. Nothing fancy/poppy/slappy for me.

I recently tried 20 basses in GC and ended up with a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4. I picked the bass for it's playability, weight and feel. Obviously the set up was crap and the strings were as well. I had the bass pro set up with new TI flatwounds and have tried to love the tone, but I just plain can't.

I'm the biggest skeptic in the world, but when the strings, amp, cords, etc are all the same, the Ibanez has more of an old school muted thump to it than the Schecter does. I figure it must be the pickups. The Schecter comes with EMG-35hz (whatever that means) and I understand they are passive and the preamp is active.

Given the feel/weight/etc of the Schecter, I'd prefer to try a new set of pickups before I toss 'er.

I'm looking for the perfect old school thump -- ideally passive. No need for midrangey slappy stuff here. Can someone please steer me the right direction? I've heard nothing but the best things about Seymour Duncans, but I'm clueless on which model/whether it will fit, etc etc...

Thanks so much!