1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickup Replacement for Fender Mike Dirnt

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sharkleg, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Sharkleg

Sharkleg

Hi all ! I've got a Fender Mike Dirnt's precision bass, which has a Custom Shop ’59 Precision Bass pickup installed. It's a passive split coil pickup, which sound is not pleasant enough to me... It is not full enough and doesn't have good treble response. I need something, which would have a nice bite on attack, growl, and clarity at high end. I want to achieve airy and ringing sound but have a low end under control as well... I was thinking of replacement with some active pickups which don't require body modification... something like "Basslines APB-2 Lightnin' Rods"
    Can anyone suggest something what would make it sound the way i want ?

Cheers !
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the fender '59 P is a good pickup. first try swapping out the pots for a 500k linear taper volume and a 500k audio taper tone. this will make the pickup brighter and louder, giving you more of the attack and clarity you're looking for.
  3. Sharkleg

Sharkleg