1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickup rings or not for a bass VI?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TonH, Dec 10, 2012.

1. TonH

TonH

I am building a bass VI (see thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/bass-vi-build-907048/) and want to know your opinion wether I should use pickup rings or not. The first bass VI's had rings.

But I am not shure if it will affect the tone.

See [​IMG]

Here a sample how it could look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please, let me know how you think about it.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

There will be no effect on tone, so its purely an aesthetic choice. Personally I think it would look better with out them.
  3. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

Without, If you were using a chrome control plate I might say otherwise, but I think yours would look better without the rings.
  4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Tonal effect..none.

But I think yours look cool, so I'd go with them.
  5. sammyfallen

sammyfallen

If you were going to use black pickup covers I'd vote for chrome rings, other wise ringless is pure class.
  6. TonH

TonH

Thanks everyone for your opinion/help!

For now I am not going to use pickup rings.

I can install them later if I want.