1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

pickup screw loosening

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Runlikegregg, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Hi,
    I have a P bass and one of the screws on the pickup starts coming loose all the time. It's not a big deal, but I have to remember to tighten it every few days or else the pickup starts slowly but surely lifting up towards the strings.
    and one time during a show by the last few notes of the last song it was rubbing up on the low E!
    (well, that's when I noticed it happens.)

Any suggestions to keep it from loosening?
    i was thinking maybe a drop of crazy glue or something?

Thanks!
  2. line6man

line6man

Fill and redrill the hole.

Make sure you put baking soda in the hole before the crazy glue goes in. Then pack it down and repeat the process two or three times until the hole is completely filled.
  3. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Two other thoughts having just installed a set myself.

1) reduce the hole size a bit with a little wood glue and toothpick. This will create more friction in the screw hole itself which will help prevent the screw from turning. And old, simple and effective technique on any small hole.

2) be sure you have enough of some sort of foam beneath the two pickup halves that will create some steady upward pressure against the screw heads. It will both steady them and stop any pickup rattling as well.

Easy stuff.
  4. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

If a toothpick is too big break it and peel away a sliver.
  5. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Or, you could use the point of a flat toothpick if a round one is too thick.
  6. Major Softie

Major Softie

Before you do any of that.

Is it possible that you just need a longer pickup screw? If you have the pickup really high, or if you don't have the correct screw to start with, it's possible you could fix the whole problem with the correct length screw.

I'm not suggesting you just put a longer screw in regardless, only that there's a chance the screw is just too short.
  7. Yango

Yango

If the screw is mounted in wood, the above suggestions may solve your problem.

If its a screw into a threaded mount, then you want Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™. I had the same problem with a Musicman Sterling, that you're having with your P Bass. I'd screw the pickup down to where I wanted it, and over the course of a gig or rehearsal, the pickup was touching the G and D strings. I fired an email off to Musicman, they suggested Red Threadlocker, and I never had the problem again.

Just keep in mind that there's two types of Threadlocker—Red 271 can be loosened with hand tools—and Blue 242 requires heat to loosen the screw.
  8. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

this sounds like my answer. It's a P bass so it's not mounted into wood. and i don't think it's anything quite so drastic anyway...it just vibrates loose. I'm gonna try the Red! (and thanks for the clarification on that too!)

Thanks everyone for your help.
    I'll let you know if it works.
  9. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

am i a jackass?
    are these screwed into wood?
  10. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

they are into wood.
    jeez.

thank you everyone.

i feel like Randy Rhoads...I just want to play, I don't want to know how the thing works!
  11. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

If in wood a toothpick and glue, if it's the metal foot of the pup it's self lightly tap it with a hammer to close up the hole some or use lock tight.
  12. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

It was an easy fix!
    I found longer pickup screws and that totally solved it!
    They are nice and tight now.

Thanks everyone. Thanks Major Softie, that was the easy answer!