1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pickup selecting and series/parallel w/ single coils and 6 position rotary switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Mar 4, 2014.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I have a 6 position 2 pole rotary switch and a bass with single coil pups. Can I wire this switch for bridge, both, neck, and series/parallel? What other options do I have?

2. T-34

T-34

Yes, the bridge, both, neck, and series/parallel wiring can be done with this switch. I'll try to dig out the schematics...

3. fourstringbliss

4. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Probably too old for this sh--
    I did this as an experiment on my 32" SX Jazz, using the switch available at Stew-Mac. I wired the 6th position as a mute (ground the input to the volume pot). Aside from making the control cavity very crowded, it worked a treat!

Good luck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fourstringbliss

What wiring diagram did you use?

7. T-34

T-34

Looks like I was wrong, cannot figure out how to do that and cannot find the schematics either (and now I am not sure I've ever seen it before ... sorry)

8. RobbieK

RobbieK

When both pickups are selected together with a normal switch or blend control, they are in parallel, and as I mentioned in your last thread, you'll need an extra pole for a series wiring.

9. RobbieK

RobbieK

If one of these can physically fit in your bass, you could use it for 4 blends and a series setting.

Come to think of it, that 4th pole could possibly be used to attenuate the series setting so it is the same loudness as the other blends.

Oh, and when you fit a rotary switch in your axe, make sure you at least use a shakeproof washer, or if possible and preferably, utilise the fixing lug on the top of the switch.

10. T-34

T-34

What can be done with 2-pole switch, is parallel-neck-series (or parallel-bridge-series), but parallel-neck-bridge-series requires extra pole as RobbieK sais.

11. fourstringbliss

I think I'm just going to install a blend pot and a push/push volme pot for the series/parallel switching. Thanks for the help!

12. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Probably too old for this sh--
    I sat down and drew it out myself. I am very busy with work right now, but If you can hold on for a couple of days, I can draw out a decent version of my hen-scratched diagram.

Larry

13. bottomend!

bottomend!

Please draw this out and post it. I'm thinking about doing this configuration to a J bass I'm building.