Pickup selection

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by DRockMech, Feb 1, 2013.

1. DRockMech

DRockMech

I am headed to the city tomorrow to pick up my first double bass. i have a few pickup choices, and can't quite find any other similar setup to compare notes to after a couple evenings of looking online. This store has Underwood, realist, fishman, and a headway "the band string bass pickup" which I haven't heard of.

I have played electric bass for about 12 years but primarily rock, so I have an orange terror bass 500, and an orange 410 cab. The last 6 months we have begun getting into country and now a bit of rockabilly (hence the double bass).

I'm wondering if anyone has some insight as to which of these may work better than others when intended for use in a loud band. I also have an MXR bass compressor and 10 band EQ available if this changes anything.

I live 250km from the nearest music shop or luthier, so I would like to make the best initial choice I can, and I see a wealth of knowledge on these forums! Don't fail me now!

Cheers
    D-Rock
  2. DRockMech

DRockMech

On another note, the bass does not have an adjustable bridge as of yet, so I realize I cannot use the full circle.
  3. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

Get an Underwood; you may want to upgrade sometime later but as a starter you won't go wrong.
  4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Have a look at the Rockabilly forum.

For Rockabilly you want to amplifiy the fingerboard slap and need a pickup there too.
  5. DRockMech

DRockMech

Is there not a pickup style that will do this as well? And once this sound is achieved, is it possible to smooth the sound out and hide those slapping sounds? Should the song require....
  6. BHBassman

BHBassman

Get an Underwood & try your EQ, or get a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ, or other Preamp
    Get your Bass set up by a pro!
  7. DRockMech

DRockMech

Went with a fishman. The underwoods were all used. No thanks.

Basic setup for my first while. The mxr eq is amazing. It took all of the anomalies out of the sound, leaving a beautiful clean tone.

Put my terror bass tone controls to noon and barely had to touch the eq. Not sure what I was so worried about.

On a plus: the stentor doesn't come with an adjustable bridge but the manufacturer must have messed up. Cuz they sure put one on! Thanks for the help everyone.
  8. Doug R

Doug R

The K&K Rockabilly pickup set is excellent, but you may have to order one online. You get 2 pickups and a little preamp/mixer to strap under the tailpiece. One pickup for the bridge; one goes under the fingerboard. They connect to the little box, which has a volume knob and a mix/blend control to roll-in some fingerboard slap when you want it. Very stage friendly, just like a bass guitar.

It's also quite sophisticated, with mini 3-band EQ for each channel inside the box, so you can dial-in the tone balance for both pups.